• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

perceiving reality

E

ee387

Is it common to have problems perceiving reality for someone who has been diagnosed with schizoaffective?

If you do, please post here and describe what kinds of issues are most affected by the disorder.

I do have problems perceiving reality. I don't hear things or see things, but my mind is tormented much of the time because I'm trying to believe in what I think is real, but it doesn't come naturally and it pains me to try so hard. Usually it centers around religion and spiritual issues.

Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem. Does it get better?

SarahD

SarahD

There are a few aspects of schizoaffective disorder that can affect how you perceive reality. If you have psychosis you could suffer hallucinations or delusions that may partially or wholly distort how you see/interact with reality. You could suffer from thought disorder which may make things seem confused and your thoughts muddled. These symptoms are from the schizophrenia part of the disorder.

You may suffer from depression or mania, with or without psychosis. Depression can distort thinking and perception, usually in a very negative wayMania can too, but in a different way, making you over excited,with racing thoughts and crazy ideas.

You say you don't have hallucinations. You could suffer from delusions or muddled or distorted thinking. Are you having any treatment?

I have paranoid delusions, but not to do with spiritual matters. Although in the past I have had some psychotic experiences to,do with that.

These days I try to do reality checks about my thinking, to see if it makes sense and could reasonably be true. I don't always succeed.

BillFish

BillFish

Is it common to have problems perceiving reality for someone who has been diagnosed with schizoaffective?

If you do, please post here and describe what kinds of issues are most affected by the disorder.

I do have problems perceiving reality. I don't hear things or see things, but my mind is tormented much of the time because I'm trying to believe in what I think is real, but it doesn't come naturally and it pains me to try so hard. Usually it centers around religion and spiritual issues.

Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem. Does it get better?
Depends entirely what you have been expose to and allowed yourself to be programmed with, you could argue that hard line Christians, and voodoo practitioners don't perceive reality either. But I would guess like many spiritualistic people you have a history of street drug use during which you intentionally warped your reality? It's all about context mate and your immediate social environment. If you were an hells angel, or a villager in rural Africa, your reality would be very different than Steve the white van man from Peckham :meanie:

But isn't reality rather boring in practice?:meanie: Sorry just needed to waffle a bit:LOL:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i wish i knew what reality was sometimes when i'm stressed up i have a nightmare of waking up in highcroft and all my life since is a hallucination, if i've cried myself to sleep it;s the waking up from shock treatment version the damp on my cheeks reminds me of the conductant

E

ee387

I do receive treatment, in the forms of psychotherapy and psychiatric visits. The doctor prescribes Abilify and Lithium, Zoloft and Wellbutrin, Klonopin and Trazodone. My therapist is trying to help me work on cognitive thought changes to build new neuropathways in the brain.

So what part of the brain is not working right? Is there a specific area of the brain that is being affected? My therapist suggests it is the frontal lobe, the area responsible for reasoning and judgment.

BillFish

BillFish

I do receive treatment, in the forms of psychotherapy and psychiatric visits. The doctor prescribes Abilify and Lithium, Zoloft and Wellbutrin, Klonopin and Trazodone. My therapist is trying to help me work on cognitive thought changes to build new neuropathways in the brain.

So what part of the brain is not working right? Is there a specific area of the brain that is being affected? My therapist suggests it is the frontal lobe, the area responsible for reasoning and judgment.
Just as long as you are able to recognize that social/cultural law, and state law are as real, palpable, and tangible as the earth you stand on, then you'll do just fine. The moment you are unable to do so then you really are considered mad, wherever in the world you are. :meanie: