• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

People With Mental Illnesses Up to Ten Times More Likely to Be Violently Assaulted

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
People With Mental Illnesses Up to Ten Times More Likely to Be Violently Assaulted

People With Mental Illnesses Up to Ten Times More Likely to Be Violently Assaulted - Mad In America

People who've been diagnosed with severe mental illnesses are from three to ten times more likely to become victims of violent and non-violent crimes than members of the general population, according to a study in the British Journal of Psychiatry.

The research team interviewed 361 psychiatric patients using the national crime survey questionnaire, and compared the findings with 3,138 people from the general population who'd completed a similar survey.

In the previous year, 40% of the patients had been a victim of a crime, compared to 14% of the control group. About 19% of the patients had been violently assaulted, compared to just 3% of the general population, a six-fold difference. Women with mental illnesses, the researchers wrote, were particularly vulnerable, having "four-, ten- and four-fold increases in the odds of experiencing domestic, community and sexual violence, respectively."

Khalifeh, H., S. Johnson, L. M. Howard, R. Borschmann, D. Osborn, K. Dean, C. Hart, J. Hogg, and P. Moran. “Violent and Non-Violent Crime against Adults with Severe Mental Illness.” The British Journal of Psychiatry, February 7, 2015, bjp.bp.114.147843. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.114.147843. (Abstract)

P

Plumage

Yes. I have lived experience.

I've been headbutted twice.
Violently assaulted by three different partners.
And raped, multiple times.
And punched repeatedly by strangers.

All in all maybe fifteen serious assaults over the course of my teens and 20's.

Trouble is, I nearly always fought back or was too scared to tell police, so never once sought justice.

Haven't been abused now for over a year so hopefully I wont again. Coincides with my recovery.