• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

People with long term depression, how do you sleep?

O

Other_Daniel

Those of you with unexplainable long term depression do you have any problems with your sleep?
I.e insomnia, frequent awakenings from sleep, exhausted when you wake up, sleep paralysis, fitful sleep?

W

Winst

I have continual problems sleeping, lucky at times to get 1 or 2 hours per night at times since being back at my mothers alone. Listen to calming music often helps.

O

Other_Daniel

Do you have any idea how your breathing is during sleep?
I think I'm close to figuring out the cause of my long term depression, and it's to do with my airways becoming obstructed during sleep. Just wondering if others may be experiencing similar problems.

Drooo

Drooo

Do you have any idea how your breathing is during sleep?
I think I'm close to figuring out the cause of my long term depression, and it's to do with my airways becoming obstructed during sleep. Just wondering if others may be experiencing similar problems.
Ah, sleep apnoea! This was suggested to me by one psychiatrist regarding my own insomnia. I didn't explore it as a possible cause so can't say for sure, but I'm fairly confident that for me, this is not the reason.

I struggle with long bouts of depression and haven't found anything that is a dead-cert to make me have a full undisturbed 8 hours every night, but regular bed and waking times does help somewhat in aiding your body clock.

O

Other_Daniel

I think I have something similar to sleep apnea, although I am not overweight and don't fit the profile. I think I fall into the sleep disordered breathing category. I did a sleep study and it showed my sleep architecture was messed up and i was have many unconcscious arousals. I had a xray of my airways and it was very narrow and the dr said it could be the cause of my poor sleep.

Drooo

Drooo

I think I have something similar to sleep apnea, although I am not overweight and don't fit the profile. I think I fall into the sleep disordered breathing category. I did a sleep study and it showed my sleep architecture was messed up and i was have many unconcscious arousals. I had a xray of my airways and it was very narrow and the dr said it could be the cause of my poor sleep.
I had loads of those in my teens! :rofl2:

Okay now that I've got the joke out of the way, what does that mean for your sleep now then; what can they do about it?

O

Other_Daniel

Haha I appreciate the humor!
Theres theories out there about how these arousals can cause your mind/body to become tricked into the fight/flight mentality. Look up upper airways resistance syndrome if interested.

At the moment i wear a mouthguard which advances the lower jaw and opens my airways.
It definitly has improved my sleep. I wake up feeling more rested and have less anxiety/depression. A better option is a cpap machine but i cannot get used to it!:yuck:
Now I have just seen a maxillofacial surgeon and he took an xray and found that my jaws are recessed and have caused me to have a very narrow airway, which is likely the cause of my sleep issues (and also i personally believe my depression). He has suggested double jaw surgery to advance the jaws which would widden the airways. It has the best % success rate of any surgery to treat apnea/sleep disordered breathing.

An obstructed nasal airway can also cause sleeping problems.

Last edited:
O

Other_Daniel

Also my depression became worse in my teen years. I spoke to a dentist and she said that jaws can develope in the wrong position during teenage years causing these sleep issues.
I've also read about alot of others who have had treatment for apnea/sleep disordered breathing have had improvements in their mood/depression. And theres also studies linking these sleeping disordered to ADD in children ( which I was also dianosed with as an adult lol)

Last edited:
Drooo

Drooo

Interesting stuff. Sounds like there are plenty of options for you though, which is really good.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi Other_Daniel,

I found that setting a regular wake up and sleep time helped give some structure to my sleep, which helped. Bonus points if you can coordinate it with the sunrise and sunset - it makes it much easier on your body!x

Much love <3