People Who Understand

K

Kalika1891

Hi I have been diagnosed Bipolar since I was 13 I am now 18. I live in a small town where people are not very understanding. Basically a keep it to yourself kinda place. I just really want a few people I can talk to who know somewhat of how I am feeling. Someone who understand on a basis that they have been through it. I am on medication(which is one of my biggest issues). I just don't even like waking up in the morning knowing I have no one to talk to who isn't a psychiatrist. Well lots of people to talk to just none who understand what I am saying. If there is any one out there who would just like to talk please answer back to this.

D

Dollit

This is a really supportive forum - why not introduce yourself on the Introductions thread and see how many people say hello?

I have had Bipolar Disorder from around about 14 and so have never known what it's like to be an adult without this. But there are ways forward. It is possible to live with it successfully - I say this as one who is badly affected.

I've never met anyone who is totally happy with medication. Mine works for me but I do go through phases where I don't want to take it, where I work with my consultant to stop taking it.

Keep posting.

N

Nicola09

Hi there,
i'm going through exactly the same and also have few people to talk to who understand! I'm 19 (so similar age) and so we can have a chat if you want!!
Take care
x

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Hi there,
I am 37 and have been dx 2 years. However, I suspect it has been around since I was a teenager.
I also have probelms with taking meds but without them, I suspect my family would leave me.
Happy to talk as I am also keen to talk to others who understand.
Happyhappy

jax

jax

Hi there. :welcome:
I took ill whilst living in the States 22 years ago at the age of 17. The American family I was living with were very understanding, however, I felt great shame about my illness. I told no one about my illness. These days I am quite open about it. I guess I have accepted that I am ill now and don't have any hang-ups admitting it.
I'm sorry that you are having a hard time being able to talk about your illness. You will definitely find people who understand here.
Jacqui

Enpi

Enpi

Hi. I'm sure most of the people on this forum can understand your situation. We're all pretty much the same. I've been diagnosed as bipolar and borderline and have been on medication for 3 years. I also live in a place were these things aren't very normal and no one seems to understand. Even my own brothers and sisters don't know about my illness. There's only one person I really trust and I can't get too close to her either because she's my coach. Well you get the idea!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've got one women friend who is sympathetic, i remember her asking me whether i ticked the box on the benefit form people find it hard to understand me, it wasn't on the form when i applied

I'm not sure what understanding is, i've got people who argue illness and people who argue label, all sorts of contradictions, then i've got psychiatrists who argue ilness and psychiatrists who argue stabilised on meds

I think "the times they are a changing" again and not just for me

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
To add my women friend upstairs said there was something for the mentally ill at the baptist church yesterday, i went people were sitting there staring into space, there wasn't even any sandwiches, so i went to my local pub were i was literally pointed out by this drunk, all in all a day in the life.

N

noodlepixie

hi ive got bipolar and on meds too, im 34 and have lost rather a few friends for me thinking i knew them well enough that they would understand now they hardly speak to me.. i understand what your going thru.. its very difficult to discuss anything with anyone.. take care xx

invise

invise

Hi there,

Im 22 and find this forums a huuge help when I need to talk. Like you I dont really have any 'real' people to talk to, but everyone on here is great. Read and post away.

Q

quality factor

The only true friend who understood me died three years ago, I suppose the only people who nearly understand are my cpn and support woker.
The people who really understand are the lovely people I've 'met' on here...couldn't be without them now.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Hi there!
I really feel for you :hug: I'm one of the lucky ones, my family know about my illness (even though it's not often spoken about), I prefer to confide in my boyfriend and friends. I have the usual support network of a CPN and pdoc, but I don't really tell them how good/bad I'm feeling.
I use this place a lot too :) lovely bunch of people on here who give advice :hug:

L

laulipop

im 24 and im just going thru all the diagnosis stage etc.
The people on here are great and really supportive. Try to keep smiling :)
xx