• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

People who have recovered from schizophrenia

M

Meshuggah

Some People Who Have Recovered From Schizophrenia

Rufus May - psychologist
http://www.rufusmay.com/

Ronald Bassman - psychologist
http://ronaldbassman.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoTd8zaC_Ms

Pat Deegan - psychologist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVlhfuKDjYE&feature=related

Daniel Fisher -psychiatrist
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/496394

Cathy Penney - was a psychiatric nurse
http://www.madnessradio.net/madness-radio-schizophrenia-psychotherapy-cathy-penney

Joanne Greenberg - author
One of her books - I Never Promised You a Rose Garden is a fictional account of her battle with schizophrenia
http://www.mountaintopauthor.com/pages/about.html

Ron Coleman
http://www.roncolemanvoices.co.uk/

I

IntrospectionFtw!

thanks for the links, its funny i was curious about peoples accounts of schizophrenia in history and most of the storys i found which were about what would now be considered "schizophrenia" like in ancient greece or before the new age drug treatments or there was much known about it, most of them recovered naturally there was one person i found intresting he was like a politician or a minister and he went through a year of psychotic experiences and had 3 episodes he eventually recovered and published a book detailing his experiences i just found this weird because you'd think back then it would have been harder to recover without the new age drug treatments but quite a few managed it and theres countless writers poets painters etc who were known to be quite "mad". it seems after that they suffered abit of a regression asylums were built and these people were experimented on
and there was the religious stigma and hysteria About people with mental illness all being "evil" or posessed which probably didnt do much good and still affects peoples attitudes towards it today..what piss's me off more is every time someone recovers naturally their illness gets dismissed or labeled as a tempory drug induced psychosis or blamed on the alcohol or drugs they may have consumed at the time, they did the same with these people^...cant psychiatry even entertain the idea that they might not know everything and that psychosis isnt a death sentence....no because they would mean there out of business and a job.and expose their sudo science...anti psychotics as a first line treatments makes me sick.

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Thanks for the Links Meshuggah. That's some well known people who have recovered. There are countless thousands who are 'unknown' who have recovered too. :)

R

rasselas

Can't there be a list that isn't dominated by people that have remained in the mental health system as professionals? It gives me the ghetto feeling.

M

Meshuggah

Can't there be a list that isn't dominated by people that have remained in the mental health system as professionals? It gives me the ghetto feeling.
This is a quote from something written by Ronald Bassman
http://www.ect.org/selfhelp/psychtoday.html

"My best friends were once locked up in mental hospitals and fought their way back. We are psychiatric survivors. Some believe that psychiatric survivors defy the odds. Or maybe we were never really mentally ill, just misdiagnosed. After all, they say schizophrenia is a lifelong disease. Such reasoning makes my peers and me look like exceptions. Among our large group of closeted ex-patients are lawyers, teachers, mechanics, doctor carpenters, plumbers and psychologists. We are your neighbors, ministers and friends, living and working in your communities. Many thousands choose not to reveal their past."

I think that the reason I was able to find more well-known mental health professionals who have recovered is that people in the mental health field are probably more able to reveal their pasts without it having a negative effect on their careers.

Last edited:
M

Meshuggah

I think that the reason I was able to find more well-known mental health professionals who have recovered is that people in the mental health field are probably more able to reveal their pasts without it having a negative effect on their careers.
That's just my opinion though. Maybe there are other reasons why I was only able to find mainly mental health professionals.

I wish there was more time to edit posts. I wanted to edit my last post but couldn't.

M

Meshuggah

Oh yeah. Add me to the list. I'm going to recover. I'm going to finish my uni degree, get myself a decent job and have a good life.

And I think that if or when (I'm thinking positively here) I do start to have a degree of success in life at some point I'd feel obligated to contribute in some way to changing the mental health system. Maybe that's another reason why there seem to be a larger number of recovered people in the mental health system. Mental health issues become closer to their hearts.

Last edited:
I

IntrospectionFtw!

To be honest like apo said its probably easier for them to get involved in psychiatry alot of people with mental illness's do volentry work anyway its part of taking a active of role in your recovery and staying busy and alot of these natural recoveries start off with the hearing voices groups social work things like that...plus alot of them probably feel obligated or driven after experiencing these drugs and the psych wards to help other people and stop the same things happening to them, plus you know there probably not fully recovered themselves so they stay where its comfortable because like working again is part of that recoverie and thats where alot of them started helping other people as part of their own recovery u get me..so if they give that up it might effect their own mental health.

M

Meshuggah

To be honest like apo said its probably easier for them to get involved in psychiatry alot of people with mental illness's do volentry work anyway its part of taking a active of role in your recovery and staying busy and alot of these natural recoveries start off with the hearing voices groups social work things like that...plus alot of them probably feel obligated or driven after experiencing these drugs and the psych wards to help other people and stop the same things happening to them, plus you know there probably not fully recovered themselves so they stay where its comfortable because like working again is part of that recoverie and thats where alot of them started helping other people as part of their own recovery u get me..so if they give that up it might effect their own mental health.
You have a lot of good points.

I was just thinking that if you were someone like a doctor or a lawyer, coming out and saying you had a schizophrenia diagnoses would probably have a very detrimental effect on your career. A psychologist or psychiatrist on the other hand has a qualification that pretty much declares them as being sane.

O

Op.cit

Maybe that's another reason why there seem to be a larger number of recovered people in the mental health system. Mental health issues become closer to their hearts.

I believe you are correct. People are also motivated in the same way by having close family members who have had contact with the system.

I don't think every one who has used services has an easy time of it though. It is still a competitive working environment and not every one has the same perspective. Service users who work in services often find that other service users can be the most cynical and are not shy about expressing themselves.

Regards,
Op.cit

M

Meshuggah

You have a lot of good points.

I was just thinking that if you were someone like a doctor or a lawyer, coming out and saying you had a schizophrenia diagnoses would probably have a very detrimental effect on your career. A psychologist or psychiatrist on the other hand has a qualification that pretty much declares them as being sane.
I guess you'd probably get a lot of stigma as a mental health professional as well. I wish I never made that statement, but I can't delete my post.

It could also be due to the fact that "schizophrenic" mental health professionals would be more likely to be writing and talking about recovery issues and methods of recovery so you'd more likely be aware of them if you looked up that sort of thing on the internet.

Last edited:
M

Meshuggah

Just to be sure. When I said I wish I hadn't made that statement. I wasn't talking about the part where I said "You have a lot of good points."