• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

people who have been sectioned

A

anothersum1

I was just wondering how long people were kept in hospital for and what (if anything) helped or hindered them leaving quickly. Also if anyone had children how long did it take to get them back. I really want to support my family member so am trying to find out as much information as possible. thanks

M

maudikie

To Anothersum1.

There are various sections in the Mental Health Act. I cannot tell you how long you will be in hospital, but I suggest that you ask the psychiatrist or your Mental Health Nurse for this information.
With regard to the children - I hope that when you were sectioned the Mental Health professionals took action to see that they are being vared for. This again is something to ask them. It must be worrying for you thinking of the. Are they allowed to visit you? Agaij ask. If you are feeling better it is good that you keep in contact with them. You could write them a letter and explain that you are not well, but that you still love them and ask if they will write back to you and tell you what thay are doing. bEFORE YOU ARE DISCHARGED YOU SHOULD BE ASSESSED AND PUT ON THE cARE pROGRAMME aPPROACH. tHIS IS USUALLY DONE BY ONE OF THE PSYCHIATRIC NURSES, AND IS A HELP TO PLAN THE FUTURE.

All best wishes, and keep your chin up.

Whatever is relevant that you want to know ASK. :hug:

A

anothersum1

Thanks for your reply, sorry I probably should have put a little more info in my question. It is not me in hospital but a member of me family, I am caring for the children. She is held in hospital under section2 of the mental health act. Nobody knows how long she is going to be there as its early days yet but I was wondering what helped other people improve quickly so I could bare that in mind when supporting her and what hindered other people so I can help her steer clear of that if possible. I am also wondering if people had experience of how the social services are likely to react when she comes home and wants her children back and if there are any ways I can help/support her and the children so that she can have them back swifty. thanks again

V

Von

Hi, I'm new here but not new to sectioning as we have been through that with my son.

As you probably know, under section 2 the patient is held for 28 days for assessment. In our case, we went for a voluntary section 3 at the end of this making my son's stay in the unit 3.5 months.

Having worked with Social Workers on his case, I imagine they'd be looking to make sure that your family member was clear of triggers in her home environment before the children were allowed back.

In my case, I'd lost control of my son and while he was in the unit I attended a parenting course to enable me to reestablish boundaries and to undergo counselling since I was almost sectionable myself by that time.

When my son came out, the SW made weekly visits to start with to make sure all was well. These reduced to fortnightly and then monthly visits and ceased after 6 months.

The children may well be placed on the "at risk" register, as was my son, but with the right care package in place for us both, he was removed from that after a few months.

I'm sure if you could offer your support as part of a care package, that would be well recieved by Social Services.

All the best to you and your family member

Von

S

staples

ive been sectioned a few times think i was in for about 4 months the first time

?

>.<

I've been sectioned twice, one was a 72 hour holding order (I think its caleld a section5, I cant remember :unsure: ) and then another one straight after which was a section two for 28 days, although it was lifted after about 15 days because I was then deemed "unsectionable".

If your loved one is under a 2 or 5, they CANNOT force treatment. They tried to do that to me, but I refused, as 2 and 5 are holding and assessment sections, and 3 is the treatment section. 3 can be for up to 6 months. Idk if thats happening, but i'm just saying, they cant do that if its not a 3.

What I did to get out was, stay calm at ALL times. Even if voices are screaming at me to die, I feel suicidal, I can't cope, what i do is go to the bathroom or something, turn the shower on, and cry in there. Don't let them see. Only let them see the best bits. I know that sounds irresponsible, but its the best way to get off a section, because once your out you can continue care from a pdoc

Being sectioned is not nice, hoping never to go there again.

Wishing you well :flowers:

Last edited: