• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

People who are afraid of success

G

George10111

I don’t think people who are afraid of success really are scared of it but they they are crippled by failure so they don’t know what to do with positive outcomes and prosperity

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
I don't know about that, with a lot of success come pressure and the threat of losing the success.

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Failure and Success are kind of similar. They can both trigger extreme emotions of either anger/fear or happiness and relief. Having things go right can be scary, because it feels like it is temporary. Being centre of attention doesn't feel right, there are thoughts of "why me" and "what am I supposed to say, how am I supposed to act". "How long until they get fed up with me and move on to someone else". "Are they being fake, do they genuinely like me, or are they after something. Can they be trusted?".

Success usually means attention. Having too much attention whether it is positive or negative is too much to bear.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

IDk its all too confusing to me.

Z

Zoe1

oh yes I get this
I did a painting recently that my Dad liked
and now I seem to have painting block !
because I'm thinking how can I make something else that he likes
and its making me feel self conscious on my own !

might take weeks to recover !
I wasnt thinking about him,
I was learning about unconditional love

Yourneveralone7

Yourneveralone7

A couple of friends of mine have brought up possibly having imposter syndrome. You can be successful, but having persist feelings of inadequacy that can make you think your not doing well or enough. People can be afraid of success especially if they are not used to it. The idea of "if I'm successful, people are going to want more and better from me" which can put a lot of pressure on a person.