• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

people that don't understand MI /depression

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

im staying with bf parents and his mum says she doesn't understand mentall illness at al
some of the things she has said are beyond belief-but she has 'payed taxes all her life and worked hard for what she has got'-unlike me

its a nightmare

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

she can't understand why i lie in bed she can't understand why i don't get up at 6am like her 'i have all my limbs and am able bodies-its disgusting that people lie in bed all day'

when i just want to get through the day to avoid suicidal thoughts x

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i told her i had a day for dying ,big mistake ,she said'i could say im going to go to the moon but it doesn't mean im going to'

and i know its her house and she doesn't want us here ,which i get ,but we couldn't try any harder to find our own place x

L

Ladyfair

I'm sorry Lu, what a sad woman my sister's are the same.

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

She is a right pain... and has a very odd view on mental health for someone who was a nurse .... she is retired now

S

sadgirl

I'm sorry that you and hermit are going through this situation but çould it be that she doesn't know the right things to say so she comes across as hard

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

My ex-wife (wife at the time) yelled at me when I came home from the hospital after my suicide attempt, "You and your mental illness!" Maybe if she understood mental illness and was supportive of me all along, then we'd still be married.

Wishbone

Wishbone

i told her i had a day for dying
As in, you told her you had a suicide plan? If so then I think you maybe went a bit far there, she wouldn't empathise with that, she would likely understand you even less.

I think just trying to give an example of a physical illness that you can't see and then likening it to your mental illness would be a better way to go. Perhaps trying the chemical inbalance thing and insulin and diabetes or soemthing similar?

I too have family and friends that don't empathise at all with Mental illness so I know it can be frustrating but often these people simply don't know what it is because they've never experienced it and can't put themselves in another persons shoes like that. The only thing you can do is try to help them understand and if they still can't take anything on board then there's not much more you can do really.

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I'm sorry that you and hermit are going through this situation but çould it be that she doesn't know the right things to say so she comes across as hard
That would be nice but its more I think a case that physical problems have a clearer problem-solution process most of the time where mental health is so subjective and individually that she has problems empathising with them
She is my mum and I love her but she is also a nightmare at times, very unsympathetic and harsh

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

today she said people with depression should 'pull themselves together' 'how can people be depressed when they have all their limbs ,its not like they are 5 year old with cancer'
she accused bf hermit of wanting and wanting and wanting and she can't understand why he spends all his time in his room ,hermit has bipolar and she doesn't understand a bit
she thinks people with MI should just get on with it i wish i could answer back but its not my house
his dad is a bit more understanding but even he doesn't get it x

H

Hopelessdepressedandpinkfloydlover

People in general doesn't understand depression.
It's not really easy to understand, not really because they have experienced or maybe it is. I see a common mistake that sadness or a small depression episode in People for like a dead or something like it, makes people thinks that's clinical depression, that makes people believed all you need is get up and live on, and unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
I have that issue all the time where people doesn't understand my problem. And it's frustrating I know, but we just can't do anything for it. Do our best to ignore them politely I guess

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

ive had enough ,i overslept today as i was feeling really low and suicidal ,she thinks its not real ,why does she think psychiatrists and psychiatric medication exist! beacuse they are illnesses x god get me out of here

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah that's unfortunate. Some people can be so close-minded about things that aren't part of their own personal experience.