• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

People in ESA Support Group being hassled by DWP

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Some people in the Support Group have been receiving letters asking them to attend Work Focused Interviews with a work coach. It is not made clear in the letter that these appointments are voluntary, and some people have been wrongly told that their benefits may be affected if they do not attend. Details here.

More disgraceful treatment of people too unwell to work :mad:

Last edited:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I didn't know this was happening.
I was aware that those in the support group could voluntarily go to the work programme, but didn't realise they were now sending letters out to people about it.

Think it's important to have the information out there that if you are in the support group, then you don't have to do the work programme.

I can see how someone in a vulnerable state could get mixed up and think that they have to attend if they got a letter. Very naughty - they should leave people alone.

keepsafe

keepsafe

I have just read the article, they are very bad indeed.

I'm glad I have had the heads up now so thanks for the post. I am almost always freaked out by the d.w.p. They have got to stop with their scare tactics before (may be already has) something serious happens to someone.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

This is so scary. Thankyou so much for posting it. Is all people need when they feel on the edge anyway

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Glad it's been useful for people to know about this, I don't like being the bearer of this sort of news, but forewarned is forearmed and all that. Hopefully if strong objections to this tactic are raised by disability organisations or others, it will be quietly dropped, and people in the Support Group won't get any more of this distressing crap. It did say in the article it wasn't something they planned to extend or carry on beyond the short term, if you can take DWP statements at face value.

S

supergreysmoke

It is only a matter of time before they call someone to a interview and find out what happens when you mess with a troubled mind too much. Won't change anything but they'll be more wary about going to work at the DWP reading the story in the press...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L ESA Support group - no assessment - stunned! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Tawny ESA support group and wrag group info Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
D ESA Support Group! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
R Can I go to college whilst in the ESA support group? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
A ESA Support Group - any interviews necessary Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
I Wrag to support group ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Artmuzz PIP and ESA support group enquiry Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
F ESA support group to Universal credit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
D Placed in ESA Support Group WITHOUT assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Tabitha Moving voluntarily from ESA support group to work-related activity group before April? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
cpuusage Ministers set to force work-related activity on everyone in ESA support group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 49
S ESA Support Group and Need Advice Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Artmuzz ESA support group worry Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
U esa support group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
A Just Heard From DWP-Have Got My ESA and It's The Support Group. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
fazza New benefit cap down to £20000 outside london but ESA support group and dla/pip not affected Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Artmuzz ESA support group - Housing Benefit and Council tax Benefit Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
K ESA support group working part time (volunteering) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
R ESA Support Group & Permitted Work Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
apple can you apply for a student loan for a part time degree while you're in the esa support group? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
zoomz ESA Support Group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
G ESA Support group (income-based) and University? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
V esa support group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
S In ESA support group and have to attend a support interview HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
L ESA in support group for 7 months now got another form Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
P confused about benefits--- to do with ESA support group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
emzangelwings ESA Work related activity group and Support Group Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
J ESA Mortgage Interest Support Ending in April for All Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 6
L ESA Support benefits excepted? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
A Letter From DWP Asking to review my Existing Income Support and SDA for ESA-Why Is This? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
R is esa support means tested? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
B ESA Support Grou and work (what they don't tell you) Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
D changed from esa wrag to support Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
A my cpn won't write a letter of support for ESA - is this usual? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
L Income support to esa Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Funnyday ESA court case about receiving £1500 backdated payment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 15
M Esa reviews Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Tawny Moving House? - ESA to UC and new GP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
M Waiting for ESA review Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
W News re: PIP and ESA reviews Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
W PIP/ESA/UC face-to-face assessments suspended. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
M Help failed ESA tribunual Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Funnyday ESA reduction from February 2021 Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 69
PinkCandyFloss More PIP crap and ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
P Need help with first time ESA assessment / ESA 50 / Severe mental health issues Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
N PIP/ESA - if you use medical terms to describe your symptoms? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Rachybz Esa and pip advice needed Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Luci ESA work capability assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
S Esa and pip experiences Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 35
Screechout Esa/work assessment descion time scale Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 35