• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

People can recover from mental illness

A

Apotheosis

Research carried out at the National Empowerment Center has shown that people can fully recover from even the most severe forms of mental illness. In-depth interviews of people diagnosed with schizophrenia have shown that these people are capable of regaining significant roles in society and of running their own lives. Though they have recovered from their mental illness they, as everyone, continue to heal emotionally. In most cases they no longer need medication and use holistic health and peer support to continue their healing. Our findings are consistent with long term studies carried out in this country by Dr. Courtenay Harding and colleagues, and in Europe by Dr. Manfred Bleuler and Dr. Luc Ciompi. These workers have shown that over a 20-30 year period a majority of people recover from even the most severe forms of mental illness. In addition, cross cultural and historical studies indicate that chronic mental illness is recent phenomenon of Westernized countries. Recent studies by the World Health Organization show that the rate of recovery from severe mental illness is much better in third world countries than in Western industrialized countries. Historical evidence points out that the rates of recovery were much higher during the 1830-40¹s in this country when there was a much more optimistic view of recovery.

http://www.power2u.org/articles/recovery/people_can.html

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i don'tg have much respect for research, all i go on is what i observe first hand, it could be the people i mix with.

Yes some recover but a lot don't, if you take rethinks definition of recovery, i've recovered, it means coping withoout a carer something rethink likes as all theit carers ask for it

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i do know one person who as a friend put it "is the only person to come out that hospital the other side"

The guy was diagnosed paranoid schitsoprenia, came off drugs, when he tryed official work he kept getting sacked so he used to claim benefits and work, he worked as a builder barman and bouncer, now new labour calls that fraud

Last i heard he had married and was working in the womens brothers pub, i don't know how the benefit changes have efected him

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Notice the research about recovery was done at the national empowerment centre, they're not likely to say recovery is impossible, not empowering

A

Apotheosis

Thank You Rambo for your very constructive & positive feedback to the OP.

Thankfully we have found what was left in Pandora's Box. :hug:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've got nothing against recovery, it's the state mental system recovery i don't like, it's all about saving resources.

Last week my support worker was saying that "You look after yourself you cook and shop for yourself, you travel by train to brum, albeit swith difficulty but you do it, the people i deal with can't do those things"

Thenext line was he's closing my case

I do also think certain lines of recovery are unlikely with me, sometimes i think the whole system railroads you into a certain position

Aahbut

Aahbut

Don't you just love those airy fairy diagrams that they come up with. As long as you have a diagram every thing is just hunky dory. These things annoy me, they give someone god knows how much money to fiddle about for a few years to come up with a diagram. I have no doubt that some people do get better, but you can be sure they never interviewed the poor souls who are still suffering that the nice picture does not fit.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I went on this "finding a future" mental illness course, i later turned up at a meeting about it, they had this diagram, doing the course, getting A levels, getting a degree, getting a job, after my illness i'd got 3 Alevels, a degree but the job was were i got stuck the thatcher yrs and when i tryed to work in social services, it apeared i was unfit for work, not that now they're questioning that

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Sorry, I know it's not constructive criticism, but those articles make me feel ill just looking at them!

S

Starbright

Is your avatar a picture of you, Ramboghetto? I've been wondering for ages and ages

A

Apotheosis

Shame so many of you are offended by it. It isn't saying all mentally ill people recover - it is saying there is the potential for recovery. I found the article balanced, simple, concise & positive. The diagram sums up both sides of mental illness - with illness on one side & recovery on the other. You would be hard pressed to find someone who has been "Iller" than me at certain times in my life; & I know this is not a competition or an exercise in comparing whose pain is worse. I have been virtually catatonic on a number of occasions. I have come through a lot. I don't know why I have never listened to the orthodox line of "ill for life" - but I haven't - to me it's sh*t. I have always looked for anything to give me hope, other angles to this stuff, & tried to have a hope & belief that things can improve; & they have done. Sorry to offend so many of you by daring post something that suggests recovery is possible.

J

jamesdean

i'm not offened

i might actually be going through a transistion @ the moment n there r 2 ways of looking @ it on a paranoid note it might be all 1 big plot 2 have me sectioned or if i believe the positive mat b i'm recovery, though i would say that i dont believe that the depression will ever leave my side i think i will nurse that 4 ever but if all my plans work out (i'm a "lucky man")the verve 1996 ish. i havent even taken that cd out of the celophane. i have always tried 2 keep hope even in my darkest days n even when i lost hope i didnt make it 2 the other side i still deal with suicidal ideation but i'm really trying 2 find the positive in everything n i think now i might have 2 have a major operation but if i do then i want 2 b out of that bed within 2 days n if its b4 the bank holiday theres some good caberat on in birmingham n this time if i go in hospital i'm taking my lap top. jd

A

Apotheosis

Don't get me wrong. I am not interested in seeking out the positive at the exclusion of everything else - there is much to learn from what some class as the "negative" I think it is very much about balance, or accepting the whole picture - both what we may class through subjective value judgements as both good & bad. Some of the most painful times in my life I have got the most growth, insight & understanding from.

I am not negating "illness" or denying the realities of "mental illness" & altered states. Just that we can have hope, & a hope which is not just idle imaginings.

Faith is to believe what you cannot see - the reward of that faith is to see what you believe.

You can replace the word "faith" with hope.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

well put the thing is i'm not the best @ putting my thoughts in2 words but u have a great way of expressing how u think, sometimes my emotions r much stronger than descriptions,

A

Apotheosis

well put the thing is i'm not the best @ putting my thoughts in2 words but u have a great way of expressing how u think, sometimes my emotions r much stronger than descriptions,
We all have different skills & talents - I have spent much time wittering away - much of it is practise - it wasn't always so, in fact there have been times when quite the opposite has been true.