People’s stories of loved ones dying

Kerome

Kerome

There is a program on Dutch tv called “I miss you”, which is basically a series of graveyard interviews with people who come to visit beloveds. It is really touching, to hear people’s stories of who is buried there, what they meant to them, the times they spent together, and how the other passed.

It reminds me of the grave of my stepmother, which is in a graveyard in the dunes. It is a really quiet place, which always makes me feel somewhat contemplative. It puts me in mind of all the good times we shared. There were also less good times, we had quite a complex relationship, but when I visit the grave there is peace there, and good wishes.

Do you have any graves that you sometimes visit?

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Locally where I live I have my mother's grave and an old neighbour.

I used to be close to the neighbour as a child and have fond memories of her. Actually, I am not totally sure where her grave is but it is in the same cemetery as my mother.

It is time I visited my mother's grave again. I do miss her a lot. I sometimes dream of her. I do feel I will meet her again in the afterlife.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i know less than a handful of people who have passed
and they were cremated

mummy was cremated ,i wish there was a grave i could go to and see her but she wanted cremation

what made it worse was that my sister lied about where her ashes were scattered
me and mummy wanted me to have them but she selfishly had them scattered in her city :low:

i love cemetary's (can't spell) and i love to visit them
i might start going and tidying up the unkempt graves x

Mayfair

Mayfair

When working or walking about and pass old graveyards, I like to read them, and see who it was, age etc. There are loads of young people in them in older ones (of course). I wonder that is there anyone around who knows them left? Once no one visits them anymore, it seems quite cold.

On another side (and perhaps controversial) and I absolutely don't agree with anyone being allowed to be buried these days. Though no problem with gravestones or plaques etc.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

i love cemetary's (can't spell) and i love to visit them
i might start going and tidying up the unkempt graves x
My uncle used to work as a volunteer maintaining cemetery’s. He would do jobs like cutting back the willows around the edges or helping to cut down trees that had to be removed, or various other jobs, together with a crew of older men. When he was buried there last year they all came and paid their respects at the gravesite.

Kerome

Kerome

On another side (and perhaps controversial) and I absolutely don't agree with anyone being allowed to be buried these days. Though no problem with gravestones or plaques etc.
Why is that Mayfair? I’d prefer to be cremated myself, but I can’t say that I have strong views as to whether others should choose to be buried, cremated, composted or anything else...

Mayfair

Mayfair

Yes, it's for space reasons, and traditions methods are terrible for the environment.

7 billion people on earth now.

If they all had a 2m sq plot, that's 1/10th the size of England.

No one will ever be able to build on it, or farm crops, so people die and take up land and resources, for at least 3 more generations (though in reality, for ever, as building on cemeteries isn't likely to be very popular.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I have loved cemeteries since I was 16. The last cemetery I went to was a pet cemetery. Here are some photos I did at the Catholic cemetery.

jesus.jpg

madonna 2.jpg

My mother just had two strokes and is in a vegetative state. This thread has reminded me of how I should go to a cemetery to help deal with my mother dying. Thanks for the thread. She is going to be cremated whenever she passes.

I have this idea that everyone in the family should all come here to Florida and we can charter a boat to scatter the ashes at sea.