• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Peer support

T

ThatFatGuy

I'm a male in the UK, been stuck inside since 2001 so I've basically spent all of my 30s indoors (barely going out, maybe just a couple of times a year).

I'm 42 now and I really want to get better, I've realised how much I miss being out but I can't manage to get myself to do it unless it's preplanned, it's a taxi from door to door and I have a way to get back home again as soon as I need to.

I've no friends, I'm a father, I've split from my daughter's mother but we both still get on well and continue to live in the same house.

I'd really like to move on from where I am, make real moves to getting out.

I'm overweight because I've not left the house and therefore not got any exercise.

I feel the need to "fix" things but I don't have any support from anyone who truely know what it's like to live like this.

Is there anyone out there who is in a similar situation? I'd really like to talk to someone who's in the same or similar situation to me.

I've no idea if this is too much to ask

TFG

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't think it's too much to ask and i'm sorry you've not had a reply yet.

I'm in a similar situation myself, really.
I'm very isolated and have no friends that I can really spend time with. I also have weight issues, probably due to lack of exercise but I mainly comfort eat because I feel so alone.

Have you got any support in terms of mental health services? Are there any places that run activities for people with MH issues in your area, like Mind or Rethink?
I think that is something that's really lacking in society - peer support.

Also, i'm not sure if you've checked to see on the Local Forums section whether or not there are services in your area mentioned that might be worth exploring.

I would say it's all about little steps and if you find yourself feeling particularly good one day, make yourself go out even if it's for a short walk down the road.

Other than that, i've found certain activities like meditation classes or art/craft courses tend to draw in people who are generally quite supportive and the environment has been really safe for an anxious person like me.