Pdoc not listening to me

• Thread starter SomersetScorpio
  • Start date
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

To give a bit of a background, i've made my way through several psychiatrists in the adult services.
So I already feel like i'm probably being seen as difficult. Although to be fair one of the swaps was because I moved, so I didn't ask for that.

Anyway, i've been having issues lately with my current pdoc not really hearing what i'm saying or what i'm wanting to do with the meds i'm on (i'm keen to try and reduce one).
She seems to think she's right about a particular medication not causing weight gain, when in fact it's listed as 'very common - affecting at least 1 in 10 people' on the information leaflet you get with the box of tablets.
I don't know what to do because I feel like i've hit a wall with her.

Feeling like i'm not being listened to is a bit of a 'wound' of mine, especially when it comes to the mental health services. Too often i've felt like they haven't been taking any notice of what I was saying.

Do you think it's worth trying to get an appointment with my GP instead? Don't know what to do next, really.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. I fear that your GP will just refer you back to your pdoc. I write letters to the powers that be and I would suggest you write one politely but saying that you don't feel heard. They have to respond to letters I found out. Its worth a thought. The virtue of a letter is you can think it through clearly before sending it.

N

natalie

Hi Somerset,

Or you could maybe try emailing, that way, the p-docs would have it there quicker ahead of them, plus it would save you a cost of a stamp!

I would go to your GP, and explain, and ask that they in this current p-doc field department, refer you to a different one for either a 2nd or 3rd opinon, or, better still, there ought to be if they are within a hospital setting, you could try PALS, patient and liasion services, you could benefit from their assistance.

Apologies I couldn't post sooner, I hadn't been very wwell, no no, not mental health, somethign else. I am much much better.

Take care now.

fazza

fazza

When I asked for a second opinion it had to be done in writing not email. Also any complaints should also be done in writing again not emails. Even though we live in modern times official protocol and rules and regulations from the past and some what old fashioned and outdated must be followed after all you cannot officially sign an email.

As for not being heard. I feel your pain. I feel that I am ignored and my point is often dismissed. I asked for a second opinion and found myself infront of a new doctor who listened and explained their side.

I know this is not much help but try to think of the services working for you. Be assertive but don't push to hard. Explain in writing your feelings in a rational way. You have the right to disagree. After all a diagnosis is only 1 doctors opinion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shaky Services 19