• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Pat Deegan - recovery library

S

switch

I subscribed to Pat Deegans recovery library and I was quite shocked to find it's 100% pro-medication. It's a really well put together website with hundreds of short videos but everyone is compliantly taking their medication as part of their recovery. There isn't anything on the website about coming off meds.

It's a shame really because she has an inspirational story of being diagnosed schizo but then becoming a psychologist.

I don't know.... I'm just want to believe that it is possible to get off medication. Though every time I try I go through insomnia hell and wind up sectioned.

S

switch

Thanks Nikita. Sorry to hear you feel like a prisoner. I know what you mean because there is no choice. They should have drug withdrawal programs available on the NHS but that will probably take another 50 years to happen. I don't feel like I can get off the drugs, it's just to painful. I have had sleep problems since I was 17 but coming off Olanzapine is like hell on earth. In the end I would stay up for 3 days straight which comes with a craziness that is beyond description.

I'm on a low dose to I take 5mg of Olanzapine - what do you take? The shrink in the hospital put me on 20mg and considered adding another 5mg. He insisted that on no accounts should I lower the dose. That's how much they know - drugging people out of their minds. This is the man who also threatened to take my blood by force. Well I've been on 5mg for nearly a year now and everything has been fine - so fuck him. Joanna Moncrieff says that if you can't get off them it's better to take the lowest dose possible.

D

disruptive_innovator

Hi there,

It is absolutely possible to get off medication but it definitely requires work with a psychiatric care provider and discovering some Personal Medicine.

There are actually a number of resources in Pat Deegan’s Recovery Library dedicated to providing tips and information for folks who are looking at coming off or reduce their psychiatric medications. Pat is a big believer in finding the right balance between the things we do (Personal Medicine) and the things we take (Pill Medicine). She also believes an essential part of recovery is finding the lowest number of medications at the lowest possible dose.

If you are still a member of Recovery Library, I would encourage you to check out the browsing page on Reducing Mental Health Medicine. This page includes videos and tip sheets for Reducing Mental Health Medicine, a video and worksheet on Talking with your Prescriber about Reducing Meds, managing Withdrawal Effects, as well as first person accounts from Isaac and Tiara about reducing mental health medicine and much more.

I wish you luck in your recovery journey!