• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Passive Influence of Alters

Keesha

Keesha

Discovering information about passive influence of alters has been the missing link for me. There’s no doubt whatsoever that many of my responses are influenced by my alters without there being a full ‘switch’ but I’ve never found literature about this until today.

Another member here wrote about it saying that passive influence is more common than actual switching and I have to agree, at least in my case.

There have been plenty of times in my life where I’ve acted totally out of character. Behaviour that’s completely uncommon for me that I’ve been most embarrassed about. Not to claim that all my unwanted actions were a case of passive influence but some, definitely.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I try to stick with trusted sites. I read a little of this.

Keesha

Keesha

A

Aurelius

There is a closeness with the symptoms associated with Partial Dissociative Identity Disorder. However, the presence of more than one personality state is not always experienced as aversive or associated with impairment in functioning. Quite often the intrusions are so passive that they become integrated into people's daily functioning. At this level they may go unreported (i.e., to GPs), where they are disclosed the criteria are not met for a disorder (i.e., do not cause distress or significant impairment to daily functioning).

A

Aurelius

I agree with Tawny and your follow up DSM-V response to Tawny's post, as I think the reference is to using trusted sources. In light of this, I should disclose that my clinical reference sources are ICD-10 and ICD-11 (as well as DSM-V).

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Passive influence is a huge thing that many people don't talk about or even realize.

It can be as simple as suddenly feeling scared or sad without realizing why. Or doing or saying something and wondering where that came from,why you said it or did it.

Keesha

Keesha

This is a complete light bulb moment for me that makes so much sense. It answers so many questions that I have about this disorder as well as how it integrates within the personality. There have been so many times I’ve been outside myself looking in where everything is surreal and it’s lasted for days. There have been times when a personality has greatly influenced my life in ways I could never understand or explain.
I’m glad you joined in Sunnydaze. You do know about this disorder.

Keesha

Keesha

Passive influence is a huge thing that many people don't talk about or even realize.

It can be as simple as suddenly feeling scared or sad without realizing why. Or doing or saying something and wondering where that came from,why you said it or did it.
A huge thing that can’t possibly be explained. It’s reassuring knowing others get this and understand it.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Thank you. Would this be considered an untrusted site?
I don't know, sorry, but there are a few i do trust and i don't read anything else as anyone can create a web page.

I understand though that you want to know as much as possible about what you are suffering with. I read far and wide about my symptoms in the beginning. Now, i know i am unique and i don't like to read anything, but notice myself and my symptoms, my causes, what helps and does not.

Keesha

Keesha

I don't know, sorry, but there are a few i do trust and i don't read anything else as anyone can create a web page.

I understand though that you want to know as much as possible about what you are suffering with. I read far and wide about my symptoms in the beginning. Now, i know i am unique and i don't like to read anything, but notice myself and my symptoms, my causes, what helps and does not.
True. Anyone can create a webpage.
I actually don’t read that much about my disorders when I probably should. In fact, I often forget I have half of them. Recently something came to my attention that I couldn’t quite explain but this ‘passive influence’ explains why.

If I read too much about my disorders, I usually overwhelm myself or victimize myself which proves counter productive.

Like yourself, I read extensively at the beginning. Then it tapers off, otherwise it becomes too self indulgent.

Thanks again

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It might help to keep a calendar just for symptoms, and then you have a record. I have one in my bedroom, just a small kitchen style calendar, and anything major that has been going on with my body/brain that day, i might note it. I reminds me i am not well, i am dealing with something difficult, but i also don't pay too much attention to it. It's like a quick pat on the back, or acknowledgement, without overfocusing.

I'm like you in that occasionally i will start to browse the net, but i feel more upset for doing it so try not to.

A

Aurelius

Keesha, I would not wish to complicate things any further but the description of your symptoms in your 'light bulb moment' post very strongly resonate with those described in 'ICD-11 depersonalization-derealization disorder';

Depersonalization-Derealization Disorder

People can experience mild signs/symptoms (i.e., they do not cause significant distress or impairment) - but, apart from this, the essential features are there. It is worrying that help and support are not available at this stage.

Essential Features:
  • Persistent or recurrent experiences of either or both depersonalization or derealization:
    • Depersonalization is characterized by experiencing the self as strange or unreal, or feeling detached from, or as though one were an outside observer of, one’s thoughts, feelings, sensations, body, or actions. Depersonalization may take the form of emotional and/or physical numbing, a sense of watching oneself from a distance or ‘being in a play’, or perceptual alterations (e.g., a distorted sense of time).
    • Derealization is characterized by experiencing other persons, objects, or the world as strange or unreal (e.g., dreamlike, distant, foggy, lifeless, colorless, or visually distorted) or feeling detached from one’s surroundings.
  • During experiences of depersonalization or derealization, reality testing remains intact. The experiences are not associated with delusions or beliefs that the individual is being controlled by external persons or forces.
  • The symptoms are not better accounted for by another Mental and Behavioural Disorder such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, an Anxiety Disorder, another Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder.
  • The symptoms are not due to the effects of a substance or medication on the central nervous system, including withdrawal effects, and are not due to a Disease of the Nervous System (e.g., temporal lobe epilepsy) or to head trauma.
  • The symptoms result in significant distress or significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning. If functioning is maintained, it is only through significant additional effort.

Keesha

Keesha

That’s it. That description fits what I experience. It’s like being numb to life so instead I become the passive witness. Life seems in slow motion. Interactions with others seem unreal. Life itself seems surreal.

While in this state it ‘appears’ to be easier for others ( alters ) to influence my consciousness and state of being easier than normal. It’s not like switching, since I’m consciously aware of what I’m doing but I’m not totally present either. The biggest fear is self sabotaging which I unfortunately do often

Its not a good place to be but there are far worse states to be in. I can remember being completely catatonic. That’s a very scary state to experience.