• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Passed medical requirement of DVLA for recurrent depression.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Finally after several months of worrying the DVLA have written to me and said I meet the medical requirements for safe driving but I have to let them know if my condition worsens or a doctor says Im not to drive.I feel relieved but angry as its taken so long.As I have recurrent depression I'm not quite sure about if your condition worsens bit as it goes in a cycle of some sort any way.
It is a long slow process which means people could be driving unsafe for months before their licence was taken off them so a bit of a farce really.
For other people going through this process what your psychiatrist says to you is really important and the outcome of the review will depend on what they put down on the questionaire to DVLA so don't fallout with them.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Glad you are ok to drive then KP.
I don;t know about the cycle of depression, how you would be on the driving. My doc told me I couldn;t, so I didn;t for a while - but know I am again even though the doc hasn;t said anything else.

Its a hard judgment call because of the nature of the illness.
So are you back out driving again now then?
KS

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Good to hear you've been given the all clear to drive KP! I still haven't heard back :rolleyes: So I suspect I'm in for the same wait as you.
I totally agree with you too, why can't they see to everything sooner rather than leaving people in limbo not knowing what thier fate is!

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Finally after several months of worrying the DVLA have written to me and said I meet the medical requirements for safe driving but I have to let them know if my condition worsens or a doctor says Im not to drive.I feel relieved but angry as its taken so long.As I have recurrent depression I'm not quite sure about if your condition worsens bit as it goes in a cycle of some sort any way.
It is a long slow process which means people could be driving unsafe for months before their licence was taken off them so a bit of a farce really.
For other people going through this process what your psychiatrist says to you is really important and the outcome of the review will depend on what they put down on the questionaire to DVLA so don't fallout with them.
Well done.At least you got the all clear.
I made the mistake of telling my psychiatrist about my cannabis habit,and lost my license.
I wouldn't tell the DVLA if your condition worsens,inless ofcourse your Doctor tells you not to drive.But that's just me.
You are supposed to tell your insurance company too.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
when talking to my pdoc about driving, she said as long she says im ok to drive i can. But whenever she says im not well enough i have to give my keys to a close family member, but i didnt inform the dvla. If i had an accident and i had been told not to drive i could lose my licence. For the odd few months a year that i cant drive its worth it to be able to for the rest of the year.

J

john1

I just said I cant drive, I cycle. Seen others suffer because of the bureacracy. I am fine with driving.

J

jontyponty

Don't tell them you drive. I used to be under the impression that Psy's didn't tell the DVLA but if they believe you are not fit to drive and you have not informed the DVLA then they are supposed to - but since psy'ts are a lazy bunch then perhaps they wont get around to it. If you lose your licence it is a sod to get back and then it might be limited -and it takes ages.

Psy't are more keen in dual diagnosis cases - (substance misuse and MHP's)

So dumb -what's most important to my recovery ? to be able to get out and away to the Derbyshire countryside /go to gym

T

TheFinalShowdown

I wouldn't tell them. Even Christians are not this formal.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I should never have told them. I have driven on a race track and was highly graded by the instructor. They are non-thinking automatons.

B

bagpuss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I wouldn't tell them. Even Christians are not this formal.
LOL LOL LOl

that made me chuckle :LOL:, how come you made the writing small, were you scared of being whipped by a Birch tree ?

B

bagpuss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I don't know about this I was involved in a fatal RTA, but I have not driven since.

if I get diagnosed as something else for hearing voices, it would be a tricky one, I would hate to loose the option of driving in the future but on the other hand my drivers licence is my only form of picture id and it would feel like a kick in the mouth if I lost my licence.

erm would I tell them NOPE
would I tell them if I started to drive and get insurance YES

T

Topcat

I'm still waiting.
Got a letter from DVLA to say they're contacting Dr Nawalhiudbjugvvaa, or whatever his name is, never met the man myself so he may not actually exist. He was residing consultant who told the sho's to tell me what to take.
I wonder what he'll tell the DVLA?

B

bagpuss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm still waiting.
Got a letter from DVLA to say they're contacting Dr Nawalhiudbjugvvaa, or whatever his name is, never met the man myself so he may not actually exist. He was residing consultant who told the sho's to tell me what to take.
I wonder what he'll tell the DVLA?
From what I have been told we need a letter from the Mental Health saying we are safe and fit to drive and not a danger to anyone, I would recommend getting this letter before anyone informed the DVLA it might make things easier.

Althought I am not recommending driving on meds (my disclaimer)

OMG TopCat keep quite Dr Nawalhiudbjugvvaa is my doctor too and his sister works at the same hospital Dr Missyjohuaranoooo!

god its a small world init !