• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Partner's son - Issues

J

JRH1974

Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice really.

My partner's son has some issues which I think are being played down by the local MHT, in conjunction with him being "in denial", which isn't helping.

He's 19, and has had behavioural/attitude problems for quite a few years. These are the symptoms he is presenting:

Delusions of grandeur - Everybody is subservient to him. He does what he wants, when he wants. If he is told no, then he'll throw his toys out of the pram and become violent. If you ask him to do something (or not do something) he'll either ignore it and carry on, or the request will be met with a 'go f*** yourself' or similar. He is never wrong (although he frequently is), and has no sense of consequence (apart from thinking about the positive results of his actions.

Paranoia - Constantly on the defensive, everybody is against him, trusts nobody. Has been known to repeatedly lock doors/windows, when he is home alone every light in the house is switched on, and in some cases the security chain is put on the front door. You cannot have a convsersation when he is in the vicinity, as he will keep butting in and asking what we are talking about, in case it's him.

Talking to himself - Sure, we all have a mutter sometimes! However, he will have a full on conversation with an unheard party, including laughing and joking. This happens mainly when he thinks there is nobody else around. He has also admitted on one occasion not wanting to go to sleep, as as soon as he closes his eyes, he "sees dead people", some he knows and others he don't.

General anger & destructive behaviour - He will without cause or reason break household items (a good example is cutting the rubber buttons off of the TV remote with scissors), kick holes in internal house doors, and if pushed will even square up to his own mother and raise a hand. A few years ago, he would have been beaten to a pulp, but his mum has her own physical health problems, and over the years he has knocked he fight out of her - She just takes it now.

The local MHT have been involved, but he is very clever and will only tell them what he wants them to hear, and as far as he is concerned there is nothing wrong, and everybody should just get off his back - The problem is other people's perception of him. He has been subjected to trauma in his younger years (when he was about 8, apparently a gang of bigger boys pinned him down and tried to set fire to him), and last year, his father (who he rarely sees these days) coerced him into a full blown fight (his mum heard it all, as he pocket dialled when it was going on). Due to that, that's what the local MHT are working with, and they are suggesting anti depressants and CBT.

I'm not so sure.

I'm bipolar and have BPD, and at first I was fobbed off with CBT as a quick and easy way to get rid of me, and when I eventually got the CBT appointent, after 5 minutes in the room, I was referred back to my GP as having "deeper issues - CBT inappropriate"

The local MHT say their hands are tied - They will only step in and help, where he asks for it.

I have an idea as to what the problem may be. Can anybody confirm this based on the history I have written above?

Thanks,

J

S

Sophia3228

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I am not a doctor but I am not really sure what I should say about this, but like
what do you think the problem may be if you're fine with saying it?
And this is my first time replying to a post that has to do with a medical condition, so I
don't want to make a mistake.

J

JRH1974

Hi Sophia,

I've been assessed for most mental health conditions over the years, so I'm pretty well grounded in such matters :)

To my untrained eye, he has all the signs of Paranoid Schizophrenia.

I'd really like some opinions, before I go in hard on the mental health team and at least make them aware of our concerns, even if there is precious little they can do about it without his consent. Getting him sectioned would not help matters - I've been to a psychiatric unit as a visitor in the past, and I do not think that would do him any favours whatsoever, judging by what I saw there.

It's the old devil and the deep blue sea scenario!

J

S

Sophia3228

Hello,

I hope that you can get him help soon it sounds pretty tough to have to go through
all this to help someone, and also I am sorry this is happening I hope that things
get better for you and him and others.

I had to edit this post the other things I wrote was not appropriate, I
do not know a lot about paranoid schizophrenia so I wouldn't know if he
had it or not, I apologize for making a diagnosis that I do not know
for sure about.

Last edited:
Passionflower

Passionflower

It isn't right to try and diagnose someone on a forum especially if you have no medical training. I have paranoid schizophrenia and he sounds nothing like me.

S

Sophia3228

crawlspace I am sorry that I did that I don't know what I was thinking.

JRH1974 I am sorry for what I said I don't really know a lot about
paranoid schizophrenia so I wouldn't listen to what I said
on the second post, sorry again.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I have to disagree, there are a few other disorders that cause this kind of paranoia and mood behaviours and rages. Borderline Personality Disorder, Scitzo-Affective, Hypermanic Bipolar States are others where these same types of behaviours and lack of insight, as in no empathy or awareness of consequenses to actions can happen. Do you think he is hearing voices or having visual hallucinations and delusions along with his other symptoms. The cutting of the remote buttons may be an attempt to stop disembodied voices for getting in through electronics, a pretty common thing with delusional paranoid psychosis.

It's not the label thats important, what is important is that the mental health are made aware of his progress, his moods/odd behaviours dad to day, any voices he may be hearing and his paranoia's as well as his med resistances if any. Everybody is uniquely different, and symptom sets vary for the individual. So write this down in as much detail as possible for the next time mh and emergency crisis has to be called to intervene. As it most undoubtedly will. (I know this from experiences within my own family)Keep as much of a diary as you can. That will help them to determine the right treatment options to give him. This does sound a lot more than something just antidepressants can handle on it's own. Huge hugs to you and your family. Hope he can get the right help soon, his illness may get worse as he goes into his early twenties and matures more as well and meds will have to change with it.

Crawlspace is right, no one here is qualified to give a diagnosis of what your family member is going through do keep trying to get into the psychiatrist and pass along any information you know he is not telling them. He will be angry with you for doing this but it is in the best interests of him recieving the right help.