• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Partner is blaming me

I

I love you

Afternoon partner today has started blaming me for him being in there and has told me I have to get a solicitor to help him get out. What do I say to him as I don’t want to say “yeah I will”and then do nothing if you understand. He did have an appeal in but because of the bank holiday that has pasted now so he has to do another ?

O

On Fire

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Normally there is an advocacy team within the hospital to help for free with appeals against section.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I did a search for "mental health advocates County Durham" and there are quite a few available if the hospital doesn't have any on site.

But blaming you isn't a good sign in my opinion, to me it sounds like he's still not accepting that he wasn't well and still might not be ready to leave.

When I was in hospital my parents visited every day and for the last appeal/assessment I had I got them to join me in the meeting and I believe their testimony really helped get me out.

Have you been invited to sit in on his appeals?

G

Galaxy

What type of section is he on at the moment and how many days into it is he?

If it's a section 2 which can be for up to 28 days, you can only appeal it in the first 14 days as appealing after that would mean by the time the appeal happened, the section would likely have expired (as in it takes a few weeks sometimes to arrange the appeal tribunal so say if you appealed on day 16, by the time you got a date for the tribunal if could be past the 28th day/end of section anyway).

If he's on a section 3 he can appeal it at any point.

If he's on a section 2 currently, he could be moved onto a section 3 after the 28 days if it's deemed he still needs treatment and isn't prepared to stay as a voluntary patient/still isn't well enough to decide that for himself. But obv the section 3 can then be appealed as above. The hospital have to provide him with a list of solicitors that deal with appeals and also a list of advocates.

I know a lot about this from personal experience (unfortunately) so let me know if you have any other queries or if what I've explained above is too waffly!