• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Partner having relapse

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Hi,

About 18 months ago my partner was diagnosed with psychosis after reaching crisis point. On reflection we have reaIised that this had been going on for years undiagnosed. Although at the time we both went through hell since treatment and having the support of a brilliant early intervention team his and therefore our lives have completely turned around for the better. He has made a lot of lifestyle changes giving up drugs and alcohol, being able to settle into our new flat without major anxiety about neighbours. He has had a couple of tempory jobs and them got a permenant job he really enjoys and we are busy planning our wedding for this summer. Hes medication has been reduced and he has done really well.

A few weeks ago he came home from work really agitated and distressed after a disagreement with a collegue to the point I've not seen since he was quite unwell. On discussion he was experiencing almost everything on the early signs checklist we had drawn up with his CPN. He considered taking some time off work which his CPN advocated, but decided to try to deal with things and continue at work infact agreeing to take on extra shifts. Things were ok for about a week then deteriated again with him reallt struggling at work yesterday. He discussed his mental health history with his boss and explained how he is struggling. Luckily his boss has been extremely supportive and is supporting him in taking some time off sick to get right again. He is also going to mediate discussions with the collegue he is having problems with. (Currently he is worried that thisperson is plotting to have him killed)

I am exhausted from supporting him at the same time as struggling to cope with a high pressure job myself. I had already been to my GP about my work stress before my partner started to become unwell again. I've not slept properly all week. I'm feeling anxious, I'm scared he will get really ill again. I'm worried that he will either quit his job over this (this is a repeated pattern) as he finally has found a job he enjoys with supportive management. At the moment he thinks that no one likes him and they are all plotting to get him sacked. Or that he will get scared enough to confront his work collegue violently if he thinks that his life is in danger. (This has happened in the past too). Selfishly I'm worried about having the financial pressure of being the only earner again too.

T

tommysmom

My son is in the middle of a relapse. All I can say is be careful . I understand about the financial aspect on top of everything else. Try to take care of your health.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Hi Tommysmum,

Thanks, things seem to be stable at the moment his CPN helps a lot and is seeing him weekly, he has finally recognised that he is becoming unwell and been to see his doctor to take time off sick whilst he gets right. His boss has told him he will get full pay whilst he is off sick, which he wasnt expecting and that has made him feel more positive about sticking with the job. He is talking about going back now when his sick note runs out. Im glad he's recognising that hes becoming ill, thats a big step forward so I'm hoping a crisis can be averted. Still feeling nervous though.

I'm feeling a bit better making sure I have some time out for myself too.