• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Parenting - Quarantine - Manic - Depression??

W

Wtf is Normal

Hey everyone - New here.. I’m 29 and was just diagnosed bipolar about a year and a half ago. It was a lonnnng, confusing 27 years.

My current situation(s) that lead me to finding all of you.....
  • My brain is everywhere (yours probably are too). Off my meds (trying to get in with a psychiatrist - my doctor permanently closed) was taking divalproex.. not sure I liked it anyway, I would sleep all day and if I wasn’t sleeping I was eating. I’ve been on adderall for 2yrs, I also take Xanax for anxiety and occasional panic attacks.
  • My bipolar has definitely confused my kids - my daughter is now 5 and I think it’s time to explain things to her more in depth... Thoughts on that?
  • Does anyone LIKE being manic? Fun sex, get shit done, conquer the world! I like being manic 🤷🏻‍♀️
    I just can’t deal with the manic depression, and I feel it coming.
  • I’ve always had issues keeping jobs because of the depression, so I recently applied for disability. How does that work if I get it? Can I work at all? How much do you usually get?
    Is it hard to get? Are there other options for financial assistance?
Lost my job so I’ve been focusing on my furniture refinishing business that I started (obsessive creative or maybe a real thing - idk), kids are in daycare, and it’s lonely.. Especially coming out of quarantine. But then when everyone’s home I just want to be working on my projects 🤦🏻‍♀️ Wtf?!

Clearly my doctor never went into much detail about being bipolar or how to manage it. I’ve just been getting by with google..
Which thankfully brings me here!!
#I’mLost
Send help

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
:welcome:

I'm sorry to hear about all you're coping with, sounds tough. I hope you find the forum helpful, hopefully there'll be people along shortly who can give you some answers and support.

Whereabouts in the world are you, it might help people answer about disability?

W

Wtf is Normal

I’m in Chicago (USA). Are there people from all over the world on here or mostly the US?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m not sure how disability works in the USA but in the UK you can still work with disability if the workplace can put aids or support in place for you. I worked whilst on disability then when i stopped i did voluntary work . But you would need to check out what the position is in the USA. Ill see if i can find any info for you. I’m not sure. If this would be any help for you

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
I’m in Chicago (USA). Are there people from all over the world on here or mostly the US?
Most of our members are in the UK, but we have a good number from the States, Australia and New Zealand, and other countries too :)

T

timing

In the US there are thousands of varibles. If you are working after you file it has to be reported. The fact that you are working affects their decision on your eligibility. The younger you are the less you will receive. Your benefit is based upon how much you paid over the years into social security. Therefore, less years worked the smaller your check.
For years too I had trouble working with depression. I could always get a job. Keeping the job was the problem. I never got fired but I would quit at the drop of a hat and move on. I figured after 40 years and at least 30 different jobs I would get a good size check. It turned out to be $750.
I applied twice for SSDI and both times asked for an appeal. I received it the second time after I was sent to their appointed psyc doc for an opinion. My last job was the hardest to leave. I knew I was done working. When I went into the social security office to apply I couldn't stop crying. They were very understanding. Also, when meeting with the psyc doc I was in tears. I think it was going over my history that was coming back to me in waves.
I have never worked while on SSDI but again the amount of time you can work and the money you can make has to fit in their formula. It is far from clear. us.gov is the place to go for answers if you can figure out their jargon.
I will also say, I now receive $1386 per month based upon receiving a portion of my late husband's lifetime benefit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Bipolar Forum 13