• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Parent with panic disorder

I

Idontknowwhy

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask how can I help my mother since she has a panic disorder. She hasn't been diagnosed with it but she had experienced panic attacks regularly and has had the fear of going outside our home.
I am not sure if she still has panic episodes but she doesn't want to have a job or go out with friends. She just sits on her phone all day at home. I have requested her to see a professional but she doesn't want to. She thinks that this can't help her. She is still married to my dad and they live together but she doesn't share this things to him since he is not the most supportive person. He doesn't tolerate weakness.
In my country it is still kind of shameful to visit a therapist or psychologist. Younger people are more open to it but the bigger part of the older generation thinks it's wired.
I just want to how to act properly in this situation.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
It's great you are trying to help your mum. Does anything trigger her panic attacks? Breathing exercises and mindfulness, meditation can all help.
You could research this on the internet to help her.
I'm sorry mental illness is seen as taboo.
Sending good wishes

I

Idontknowwhy

Her panic attacks at first were triggered when she went outside our city. But now she wants to go in nature more often but being outside our house and walking around in the city seems to frighten her. I would like to get advice of how to talk to her about professional help and what behaviour I can have so she could feel more comfortable when she doesn't feel like talking about this. She doesn't open up very often