Paranoid thoughts looking for advice

C

corallacey

Hello,

Basically I have had a really stressful year and I think it has really taken a toll on my mental health. I feel like I had a positive carefree attitude before all this and I want it back :(

Please could anyone give me advice on how to get rid of paranoid and unpleasant thoughts?

Basically I seem to have developed hypochondria, my breathing even gets affected (like my chest tighthens up) and I go to the doctor and he told me i was fine and it was a mental thing.

So now anything can set me off and have me obsessing over something making me sick.

But my main problem is really random a nd stupid ? Like basically I did a ouija board with some friends while we were slightly drunk on New Year's Eve a few years ago and didn't think anything of it as nothing actually happened. But when I told people the story they would freak out and say things like "my cousin did one of them and there sons both died"

So now I'm paranoid all the time that I'm possessed or something?? And I just want this feeling to go.

If anyone can offer me any kind thoughts or any advice on how to get rid of these thoughts I would be very grateful, thank you for reading

InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

I understand about the paranoia. I experience it often too, although for me I'm paranoid that people are trying to kill me or that the reason I hear voices is because I'm some sort of human experiment and I just don't know it. Paranoia is one of the hardest symptoms to treat. Have you tried medication? It hasn't worked that well for me in regards to paranoia but I've heard it helps other people. Also, are you in therapy? Do you bring this up to your therapist? I think that working through it in therapy can help. It helps me anyway. One thing I do when I start feeling paranoid is I try to remember that my thoughts are irrational. You doctor told you you're not sick, so you should hold onto that and tell yourself to trust your doctor. One thing my therapist told me to do when I start feeling paranoid or having negative thoughts is to try to challenge those thoughts. For example, if I feel like someone is trying to kill me, I can challenge those thoughts by asking myself questions such as "Does anyone have any reason to want to kill me? No." "Has anyone tried to kill me in the past? No." "Do I know anyone who would want to kill me? No." For you, if you start feeling like you have some sort of illness, you could ask yourself questions to try and see your way out of the irrational thoughts. "Did my doctor tell me I'm okay?" "Do I feel physically ill?" "Am I in pain?" Really think about them. Are you actually sick or is your mind trying to trick you? Use these questions to find out.

My mom is the same way you are about being paranoid about being sick. She's constantly going to the doctor. One thing that helps her when she starts feeling like she's dying is breathing exercises. breathe in for 4 counts and out for 8 until you have calmed down. That can be hard when your anxiety is so high that you're having breathing difficulties, but remember that it's just your anxiety. Also, although I don't deal with ouija boards, I highly doubt you are possessed. But the questions thing can work for this too.

I guess my point is to try to remember that your thoughts are irrational, trust your doctor, and try breathing exercises when you get overwhelmed. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Last edited:
C

corallacey

Thank you for your answer, it means a lot. I am sorry to hear about your thoughts, it must not be nice. It does help me to hear about your thoughts though as it makes me feel less alone, and that there is not much sense in paranoid thoughts from the outside - sorry I hope you know I mean that in a good way. It makes me realise the thoughts are just thoughts and they can't really hurt us. As in I see how unlikely your thoughts are to be real, mine are unlikely too. I hope that made sense and wasn't rude - obviously I have no idea how your paranoia is so I am not trying to compare just want to make sure I am not rude.

I try to tell myself the thoughts are irrational but part of me just always says back "you can't disprove it" which is crazy because I can't prove or disprove loads of things so what is the point in worrying. I guess I just need to keep on doing it and then hopefully one day it will sink in.

I haven't got a doctor specifically for mental health but I am going to go and see a counsellor I think as maybe they can help. I did try to apply for a counselling service before but I wasn't 'anxious' enough (as thought anxiety is the only mental health problem) I feel like things like paranoia & hypochondria are still not commonly acknowledged. Even thought I'm sure they are linked to anxiety.

I will also try the breathing exercises. Thank you very much for your reply and I wish you the best going forward in your journey.

Last edited:
InfiniteRectangles

InfiniteRectangles

You weren't rude at all. It's nice to know you feel less alone now. Glad I could help, even if it was just a little. :)