• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Paranoid schizophrenia - laughing to yourself ?

D

DanColl22

Hi, I’m diagnosed schizoaffective disorder but have a cousin (male) and a friend (male) who are paranoid schizophrenia and both laugh to themselves spontaneously and quite often when I’m in their company. And when I ask why, they say “oh nothing” like they are hiding why they are laughing, or can’t understand why people are questioning it, or something

does anyone else relate to this? Can you help me why they might be laughing to themselves, and then not want to explain

thanks In advance

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

I do this. Sometimes it's a thought that so random and involved it isn't worth explaining even if you could, and if you did explain it wouldn't be funny to anyone but you. People have to be allowed to be jovial without others taking offense or taking it personally. Especially if you're schizo. Life is hard enough when you can laugh.

D

DanColl22

I probably wasn’t clear enough, the laughs aren’t always sweet like you are laughing just at a funny joke. Like you can tell they are a mentally ill laugh. In the case of my cousin who’s been doing it a lot recently, it’s like Machiavellian. It makes me feel uncomfortable. So I ask why. And he says oh nothing. Never says why. Not one time, of all the times, just always “oh nothing”.

I agree it could be so off the wall to not want to explain, but why not have the self awareness that when someone asks you, you should feel a sense of responsibility to say something, even if it’s just general “I had a funny thought” “was remembering something”

it’s like it’s none of these and I don’t know, its like it’s coming from the devil or something. Because the timings are so random, the way they laugh are so off, like something is wrong, a “mentally ill laugh”, not just something is sweet and funny, and never saying anything when asked why did you laugh, what’s funny but “oh nothing”

there’s more to this than meets the eye

would appreciate any more comments

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

When you have hallucinations constantly what goes on in your head is hard to explain. You constantly feel exposed by voices who seem to know all your secrets and manipulate you with this information. You can be at the whim of what seems to be pure cynicism of nonentitles whose whole purpose seems to be to torment you any way they can.

Sometimes laughing is simply an expression of nervousness or a result of realizing you've lost the battle for the moment and it's all about to hit the fan. It's next to impossible to explain unless you've been there. Sorry. I'm trying but I don't feel like I'm communicating it very well.

P

Philosofer

Hi, I’m diagnosed schizoaffective disorder but have a cousin (male) and a friend (male) who are paranoid schizophrenia and both laugh to themselves spontaneously and quite often when I’m in their company. And when I ask why, they say “oh nothing” like they are hiding why they are laughing, or can’t understand why people are questioning it, or something

does anyone else relate to this? Can you help me why they might be laughing to themselves, and then not want to explain

thanks In advance
I often laugh when a funny idea comes to my thoughs. Its nothing out of the ordinary. But if its a funny thing concearning myself, I dont nessesearly convey it to others:)
K.

T

Tombomb

I do understand that the laughing maybe directed too u which isn’t cool too do! But I may be wrong but that sounds like it would annoy any person??