Paranoid about my neighbourhood

C

cookoo

So this is going to sound ridiculous but I’m convinced people purposely walk past my house to say things to make me feel paranoid. I’ve put on weight since I’ve been eating depression medication so I ordered some bras online. They got posted to my house and a few days later I heard someone say whilst walking past my house you’re an A cup and then another guy say why don’t you buy new pants. It’s just too coincidental for things like this to keep happening to me. People walk past my house saying things that relate to me. Has this happened to anyone before???? Could the postman disclose my information to random people on the street of what he’s delivering to my house????

Z

Zoe1

yes this has happened to me
and its alot better since I got medication
I definitely used to hear things that relate to me
its called ' ideas of reference '

:love:

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
People walk past my house saying things that relate to me. Has this happened to anyone before???? Could the postman disclose my information to random people on the street of what he’s delivering to my house????
There was a post similar to this somewhere else on the forum recently. Someone said they had moved to a new neighborhood and they felt that people walking past their house were watching them. I wish I could remember the title of that thread, because I think the responses there might also be helpful to you.

Anyway, to answer you, yes, it's possible that your neighbors and the postman are gossiping about you. But whether it's likely or not... Only you can know that, for sure, based on how well you've gotten to know these people. It could also just be a bizarre coincidence.

C

cookoo

There was a post similar to this somewhere else on the forum recently. Someone said they had moved to a new neighborhood and they felt that people walking past their house were watching them. I wish I could remember the title of that thread, because I think the responses there might also be helpful to you.

Anyway, to answer you, yes, it's possible that your neighbors and the postman are gossiping about you. But whether it's likely or not... Only you can know that, for sure, based on how well you've gotten to know these people. It could also just be a bizarre coincidence.
The package wasn't boxed but just in a flimsy polythene bag so he could have felt that it was bras. last time i ordered a few bags online and i noticed the post man from across the road opposite my house opening and rummaging through his large letter pouch looking for whatever he was looking for. i was convinced at that time too that he was basically trying to broadcast what i was getting delivered. the only reason why someone would do this is if im some sort of threat to anyone but i live on my own i have no friends who i invite over only my family pops over. its so upsetting. i dont understand how i can get off these peoples radar

C

cookoo

yes this has happened to me
and its alot better since I got medication
I definitely used to hear things that relate to me
its called ' ideas of reference '

thanks i never knew there was a term for it. its good to know there is medication for this too. if you dont mind me knowing after taking your medication how has it helped your thoughts? do you now choose to ignore the paranoid thoughts or they just dont cross your mind any longer?

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The package wasn't boxed but just in a flimsy polythene bag so he could have felt that it was bras. last time i ordered a few bags online and i noticed the post man from across the road opposite my house opening and rummaging through his large letter pouch looking for whatever he was looking for. i was convinced at that time too that he was basically trying to broadcast what i was getting delivered. the only reason why someone would do this is if im some sort of threat to anyone but i live on my own i have no friends who i invite over only my family pops over. its so upsetting. i dont understand how i can get off these peoples radar
I don't want to tell you it's all in your head, because there definitely are bad neighborhoods where people living alone are harrassed or bullied or spied on... If you're unfortunate enough to be in such a situation, I don't know what you can do beyond getting a private postal box (dunno if that's available in your city). But I have no way of telling if your street is one of those bad places.

If you have a therapist, you might want to consider describing your situation to them and see what they advise. They can tell you whether your fears are founded on fact or whether it's time to try meds or CBT.

C

cookoo

I don't want to tell you it's all in your head, because there definitely are bad neighborhoods where people living alone are harrassed or bullied or spied on... If you're unfortunate enough to be in such a situation, I don't know what you can do beyond getting a private postal box (dunno if that's available in your city). But I have no way of telling if your street is one of those bad places.

If you have a therapist, you might want to consider describing your situation to them and see what they advise. They can tell you whether your fears are founded on fact or whether it's time to try meds or CBT.
im going to order a few more bras to piss the postman off!

Z

Zoe1

thanks i never knew there was a term for it. its good to know there is medication for this too. if you dont mind me knowing after taking your medication how has it helped your thoughts? do you now choose to ignore the paranoid thoughts or they just dont cross your mind any longer?
well its like the volume is turned down
I still have some of these thoughts
but am able to dismiss them

its not only the medication though
its also taking therapies, and also using these forums
helps me to sift out what is real and what isn't

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
well its like the volume is turned down
I still have some of these thoughts
but am able to dismiss themits not only the medication though
its also taking therapies, and also using these forums
helps me to sift out what is real and what isn't:love:
That's great that you feel confident about being able to tell the difference. I do worry about doctors and even patients mistaking real problems for delusions.

Z

Zoe1

n yeah it can be a daunting journey at times
but Im glad now that I did that
rather than just staying with that reality that I had
I think I would have died actually
if I didnt get help

it takes time to learn what is real and what is not
and I'm still learning !

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
if I didnt get help
and I'm still learning !:love:
I totally hear you on all of that! Still learning here too.

C

cookoo

if I didnt get help

and I'm still learning !

its good to hear that you are feeling a lot more confident and got help for yourself, that is so encouraging. same i often feel suicidal and it doesn't help when i have these thoughts during the time of the month it makes it so much worse then. ive just accepted that people are mean and will twist and turn words to wind any one up and its nothing personal but it makes them feel powerful or important for a few seconds.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
[QUOTE="cookoo, post: 1852030, member: 79394" ive just accepted that people are mean and will twist and turn words to wind any one up and its nothing personal but it makes them feel powerful or important for a few seconds.[/QUOTE]

Ok. I didn't realize your neighbors were twisting something you said. Sorry for misunderstanding. That is a whole other issue from nosy neighbors spying. I've been in both places, and I feel for you.

C

cookoo

[QUOTE="cookoo, post: 1852030, member: 79394" ive just accepted that people are mean and will twist and turn words to wind any one up and its nothing personal but it makes them feel powerful or important for a few seconds.
Ok. I didn't realize your neighbors were twisting something you said. Sorry for misunderstanding. That is a whole other issue from nosy neighbors spying. I've been in both places, and I feel for you.
[/QUOTE]

No they actually haven't but what i mean by that is the people who walk past my house and say certain words may have aswell gone out of their way to find out specific information about me to attack me when they need to. i feel as though the people who say things a little louder when near my house very cleverly use specific words to grab my attention and then making me feel paranoid. i guess im just being naive by thinking that people wont tease me.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i guess im just being naive by thinking that people wont tease me.
I hear you. I don't think it's naive. It's just that we tend to assume that once we've left high school, we've left the bullying behind. Sad to say, the bullies don't outgrow their abusive behavior. You can find them everywhere -- the neighborhood, the office, even your own family.

C

cookoo

I hear you. I don't think it's naive. It's just that we tend to assume that once we've left high school, we've left the bullying behind. Sad to say, the bullies don't outgrow their abusive behavior. You can find them everywhere -- the neighborhood, the office, even your own family.
yes i totally agree. i've got so sick of feeling like this i've started reading on how to overcome paranoid thoughts and one of the main thing that stood out to me is that low mood and when alone feeling of paranoia and ideas of reference increase. this really helped me understand i can not control what people say and do but i can understand and control my own reactions and feelings. i'll leave it to karma to get back at the bullies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sorry state Depression Forum 6