• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Paranoia

M

mwake

This is difficult for me but I need help. I'm not sure what's going on maybe im paranoid.

There are some issue going i suffer from paranoia, I think people are talking about me negatively, if i hear ambient noise of people chatting I think people are talking about me.

Its hard because I REALLY do think people are talking about me, I stay in a lot partly because I have no confidence (Social Anxiety). But when I'm indors I hear voices from my next door neighbour:

"Things like we (other neighbours in the area) all know your sad/mentally ill...etc"
"You never laugh"
"move out, we dont want weirdos in this area"

At home I'm really quiet because I'm scared of upsetting my neighbours even by speaking at a normal level...so I whisper when I know i shouldn't really.

I live with a friend and he says nobody on my road is saying these things. Its weird I have low trust in myself and others, I've never heard voices like this before. But I'm not sure what it could be, I don't want to go to the doctor for pills and the like. I am depressed to be honest and I'm not sure if that also has something to do with it.

I went to the local Turkish sauna which was a huge step for me and met some good local people everyone was friendly there so sometimes I'm confounded by the level of my thinking that I tell myself when I say to myself that "everyone hates me", i go out at meet decent people and the world is rosy again, I stay in for a few days without going out and the world is a bad place!

The thing that makes my situation hard is that its a mixture of two things people ARE saying things about me sometimes as they walk past my house saying things like the "bogeyman" and liking me to the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. And the other issue is that I admittedly do suffer from paranoia that people are saying things. Regardless I know that I need help.
was wondering if there are any types of therapies or alternative type therapies that can help me sort out my depression/social anxiety/paranoia/low self-confidence.

It weird because I don't hear voices when Im outside the house of the like when Im indoors, its like cabin fever which eases when i am outside. To clarify when I say i hear voices I mean I hear the chatter of other people and assume people are talking about me I AM NOT hearing voices in that there is a voice in my head. It stems from if I am surrounded by ambient noise like distant chatter I assume "Oh! people are talking about me negatively..."

Im abit lost and i know I haven't explained my self very well as I am nervous as this is the first time I have explained this to anyone in this way.

Thanks!! I'm just looking to share my experiences I know the only person who can truly help me is me.
:redface:

T

Twylight

Hello and Welcome

Have you had this paranoia for a long time - just curious

J

jamesdean

I suffer extreme paronia its really horriable I know but my psych says that I'm to sensitive honestly such anegative attitude from some one with letters after her name. How are we supposed to deal with it all when the mh servicea are not even on our side?

I wish you well in your journey

E

ev3rythingsok

wow almost word for word

Hey man hows it goin
So Im sitting here with my brother researching some of my brothers symptoms and I came across your posting. Its amazing, everything you said is exactly what my brother has been dealing with for the past 2 years. He was never like this before, it just happened out of no where. He has the exact same symptoms, he thinks our neighbors are talking about him, saying weird things about him, ppl driving are laughing at him while hes driving. He also thinks sometimes that he might be whispering or talking outloud sometimes and ppl can hear him. He is anti social now, doesnt like to be in around populated places, so it causes him to stay indoors.

Its tough man, i understand what your going through. We havent found a solution to this problem yet. We've done everything from medication to therapy. I think the best things you can do is to find a close friend or sumone that u trust, and try to spend a lot of time with them to make yourself more comfortable and reassure yourself that nothing is going on by trusting that your friend will let u kno if what you think is true. My brother says driving helps him out. Driving with his music on loud and just cruising maybe late at night when no one else is out around calms him down.

Mostly though, it is all mental. I know its hard to believe that its not real when its so real to you... but you have to remind yourself that you have paranoia and you cannot be trusted. Thats why I said you should try to spend a lot of time with someone close to you and make sure you explain what your going through with them. Talking to people can make a big difference. Ive been pretty worried about my brother but im doing my best to help him out and it seems like hes been slowly getting better. The worst thing you could do to yourself is staying indoors forever and running away from your problems. Dont miss out on life, you only get one life... it might suck but no ones life is perfect. I hope the best for you and feel free to email me if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lost_soul

...but you have to remind yourself that you have paranoia and you cannot be trusted...

I hope that's a miscommunication, maybe "you can't trust what you're hearing"?
If that's what it's supposed to mean, I agree.

I suffer from nearly word for word what your describing. What I learned I had to do was remind myself that not only is what I'm hearing not real, but even if it was, what absolute losers my nieghbours would have to be to spend so much of there time doing nothing but judging me (I'll admit I may have flipped them off threw the wall a couple times to prove my point :evil: ) I also learned to not live my life based on other people or what they think, but to live for me. I mean does it really matter what people think of you, if you don't care.

I know this is all easier said then done, believe me I know (I've done them all). Just try to realize that people don't think about you nearly as much as you think. :)

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
wow i'm amazed at your post i have this too i listen to a mp3 player a lot cbt therapy is the best thing for this. sometimes what you are decribing is like a projection we hear noise and then hear our own fears in our head about what they are saying i really think you should go to your gp this is quite a serious thing. :scared:

M

mwake

Thanks for all your replies...Its been about a year since my 'paranoia issue' started, I am now learning to cope with it and understand it. Still have bouts of paranoia but I try to attack it with humour and logic, ie Quesion like "did someone really say that, or is that my low self esteem shouting at me..?"

Its easier to tell when I am suffering form paranoia because I hear voices as if people are sometimes standing right next to me, when they are in fact across the street. I use Logic to tell my self that it is impossible for someone to hear someone talk like that when they are half way across the street as they would have to shout and that has a totally different type of sound!

Removing fear from myself is the key to this illness...Im not sure how much of it is related to chemicals in the brain so I ave changed my diet and take some supplement such as fish oils what have made a difference. But ultimately I think it is a deep rooted fear of myself. I just need to learn to love myself and everything will fall into place.

i secretly lived in fear for many years prior to suffering paranoia but covered it up! Now I realise that I can not live an optimum life living in fear and that the paranoia is also being fuelled by fear, so it has to go!!!!
I think it has something to do with low self esteem... so much so that that this dominates me more than it obvioulsy should. In a way I see a positive in it as it has made me re evaluate my whole life with regard to what is actaully imprtant in life and that is to be happy. I want to to do som amny things with regard to 'reprogramming' myself so that I can be more positve, at the very least I will succeeed at learning to live with it, and at best hopefully, I will rid myself of this paranoia.

I must add since the original post the paranoia has decreased greatly enough for me to live my life with increased optimism. Prior to this I was a complete wreck and couldn't function that well. I still have moments where I persume people are talking about me but I just brush it off and try to remember that I have people in my life that know who I am and love me as I try to love myself more.

Actually, that is the defining feature of my paranoia, that, I don't get negative paranoia about the people in my life that are close to like friends and family... Not once have I ever thought friends and family were/are saying negative things about me! The paranoia is exclusively centered around people I am not close to and strangers I pass...( I wonder if this is the same for others)

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share my current thoughts and feelings on the matter, I hope it helps others and hope to share more with other people as a way of helping myself and others to get out of this paranoia.
:grouphug:

Last edited:
D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
you sound like a very intelligent and articulate person with great insight!your doing all the right things

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Hearing Voices Forum 2