• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

paranoia

J

jamesdean

could any 1 give me some ideas how 2 deal with the above its so negative but i carnt control it @ the moment? thanx jd

A

Apotheosis

could any 1 give me some ideas how 2 deal with the above its so negative but i carnt control it @ the moment? thanx jd
Hi JD - it can be a hard one - I am prone to it too sometimes. When I get para it brings up periods of illness in the past & how I felt then. It's like whatever state of mind I am in associates with similar states of mind I've had in the past. Rather than fight it, I try to ride through it & challenge the thoughts that are causing it. One way of doing this is to chat to people about what I'm thinking about & getting some perspective on it. Also slowing breathing down & practising relaxation techniques. A lot of the content of past paranoia I am no longer very bothered about - I think - so what if that stuff is happening; what can I do about it? Whatever the stuff is we get paranoid about; it is better approached with a calmness & relaxed/peaceful state. But I do still get it - knowing it passes helps; & realising I am safe & in a place where the "stuff" or content of paranoid thinking can't harm me or is not as accurate as I may believe - it may be happening or it may not; but the fear state is not going to be something which will help with dealing with whatever comes up. As long as I'm reasonably well, then I can put two fingers up to it & it passes. Hope that helps.

J

jamesdean

that is the 1 i like 2 do most is put my 2 fingers up if i'm feeling a little more positive it is such a good response. thank u 4 your reply jd