• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

paranoia

J

jamesdean

could any 1 give me some ideas how 2 deal with the above its so negative but i carnt control it @ the moment? thanx jd

A

Apotheosis

could any 1 give me some ideas how 2 deal with the above its so negative but i carnt control it @ the moment? thanx jd
Hi JD - it can be a hard one - I am prone to it too sometimes. When I get para it brings up periods of illness in the past & how I felt then. It's like whatever state of mind I am in associates with similar states of mind I've had in the past. Rather than fight it, I try to ride through it & challenge the thoughts that are causing it. One way of doing this is to chat to people about what I'm thinking about & getting some perspective on it. Also slowing breathing down & practising relaxation techniques. A lot of the content of past paranoia I am no longer very bothered about - I think - so what if that stuff is happening; what can I do about it? Whatever the stuff is we get paranoid about; it is better approached with a calmness & relaxed/peaceful state. But I do still get it - knowing it passes helps; & realising I am safe & in a place where the "stuff" or content of paranoid thinking can't harm me or is not as accurate as I may believe - it may be happening or it may not; but the fear state is not going to be something which will help with dealing with whatever comes up. As long as I'm reasonably well, then I can put two fingers up to it & it passes. Hope that helps.

J

jamesdean

that is the 1 i like 2 do most is put my 2 fingers up if i'm feeling a little more positive it is such a good response. thank u 4 your reply jd