• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Paranoia or legitimate concern?

C

californiathoughts

Over the past few months, I've been fearful of my online life being monitored and all of my activity recorded that could be used against me in the future. As a result, I've been using a VPN, encrypting all of my devices, changing all of my passwords, locking down the wifi and everything connected to it, and keeping my shades down. I can never shake the feeling of being watched in my room and I think it stems more from an anxiety. Even still, I try explaining why I'm taking all of these security steps and everyone dismisses me as being paranoid. My therapist even marked it down as a psychotic manifestation. But if it was such a thing, wouldn't it be illogical? I think this is perfectly rational, personally. I don't want to be tracked by anybody. I don't do social media, I feel like I'd be hunted down in an instant. I've searched myself in facial recognition databases and it's too late already because there are a few of me there from years ago. I try not to think about the technology because it terrifies me.

This makes sense, right? Justifiable? I'm not just paranoid like they say, right?

Q

Queenoface

From someone who suffers from paranoia, that sounds pretty paranoid. Sorry.
Could be legitimate concerns but I don't know much about technology to that extent.

C

californiathoughts

From someone who suffers from paranoia, that sounds pretty paranoid. Sorry.
Could be legitimate concerns but I don't know much about technology to that extent.
I guess going back and reading that it definitely sounds like it, I just don't know if I want to believe it. I feel safer the less stuff about me gets out there.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It seems like it’s a legitimate concern that has kind of snowballed into a major preoccupation. If you stay preoccupied with these concerns after taking the measures you have taken it seems like it would be veering over to paranoia so some good self monitoring I think is in order here. xo, j

R

rennieag

I would assume that this is probably paranoia, unfortunately. I had a similar experience earlier this year. I thought, for some reason, that one person in particular was orchestrating my total social rejection online and deleted a social media account because of it. It kept me up at night, I would run through all the possible scenarios in my head in a scary loop. But I wouldn't be too hard on yourself - I think quarantine isolation has been partly causing these symptoms to erupt.

A

AngelAdelaide

Hey, I suffer from bipolar disorder. When hypomanic I can become paranoid about this. I am cautious with data that holds personal information such as ID, my address, DOB, bank information etc. This information is valuable on the black market, so it makes sense to be careful. However, I am not a criminal, I am not rich, I am not famous, and I am not in a position of power. I highly doubt that anyone other than criminals who are after information they can use to commit fraud or theft would have much interest. Basically everyone in first and second world countries nowdays has lots of data online, I doubt anyone is that interested in you specifically. My suggestion is to take reasonable precautions to protect yourself then let it go. In the end, whether you panic and worry about it or not you can't know what may or may not happen in the future, but losing sleep over it is harming yourself unnecessarily. If it happens, deal with it at the time. Until then, use reasonable precautions and hope for the best.

HLon99

HLon99

Sound like paranoia to me. Have you been taking your medication regularly?

C

californiathoughts

Sound like paranoia to me. Have you been taking your medication regularly?
Yes, honest. I will admit I'm not very forthright with my pdoc when it comes to stuff like this because I feel uncomfortably vulnerable bringing it up or I'm afraid of being misinterpreted. I don't want to be overmedicated again. It's possible I could be overthinking all of this because I don't really feel like anything's wrong. I realize that not recognizing it is also a symptom, but I'm functioning at this point.