Paranoia is killing me

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Hey peeps this paranoia is killing me, I keep getting voices telling me something bad is going to happen

I get visions in my mind of what might happen

It's driving me mad and I'm going mental

Anyone else suffering from this too?

E

EstherRose94

Will it help if you tell us? Just in general. Are you afraid something bad will happen to you or a loved one? Try grounding yourself in your present surroundings where everything is okay.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Will it help if you tell us? Just in general. Are you afraid something bad will happen to you or a loved one? Try grounding yourself in your present surroundings where everything is okay.
Keep getting paranoid about bad things going to happen and it will be all my fault :(

G

Girl interupted

Really really hate when my brain runs away with me. At some level do you recognize that it’s not real? Focus on that.

And recognize that this feeling is temporary.

You can try some distraction techniques like meditation, running up and down the stairs to physically exhaust you, or even try playing a video game.

You just need something to trick your brain from being such an asshat. Hang in there.

I

Inrar

Oh mate I feel you.
The rumination, the certainty that thinking something will make it happen, the obsessiveness - it's soo draining.
Being sleep deprived definitely enhances this one for me, which can be a bit of a stitch up when it's the thing stopping you from sleeping!
Like people have already said - distractions, mostly physical, can tire your body out so much that the brain chills out. I find that my brains not strong enough to let meditation calm me in these moments, but it's definitely something that works for some people.
DBT explains a lot about 'thought distortions' that stem from 'filters' that the condition feeds us - the distortions 'Negative prediction' and 'Emotional reasoning' explain to me whats going on in my brain when it goes into overdrive.
Understanding why helps me to distance myself from the content, might work for you too?
Good luck

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Really really hate when my brain runs away with me. At some level do you recognize that it’s not real? Focus on that.

And recognize that this feeling is temporary.

You can try some distraction techniques like meditation, running up and down the stairs to physically exhaust you, or even try playing a video game.

You just need something to trick your brain from being such an asshat. Hang in there.
I've been trying to stay busy but it just doesn't go away

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Oh mate I feel you.
The rumination, the certainty that thinking something will make it happen, the obsessiveness - it's soo draining.
Being sleep deprived definitely enhances this one for me, which can be a bit of a stitch up when it's the thing stopping you from sleeping!
Like people have already said - distractions, mostly physical, can tire your body out so much that the brain chills out. I find that my brains not strong enough to let meditation calm me in these moments, but it's definitely something that works for some people.
DBT explains a lot about 'thought distortions' that stem from 'filters' that the condition feeds us - the distortions 'Negative prediction' and 'Emotional reasoning' explain to me whats going on in my brain when it goes into overdrive.
Understanding why helps me to distance myself from the content, might work for you too?
Good luck
Thanks for the advice

You're defo right though it's draining

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

It can take an incredible amount of patience to overcome this, but in time one day, you'll realise that if something bad was going to happen, it already would have.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

It can take an incredible amount of patience to overcome this, but in time one day, you'll realise that if something bad was going to happen, it already would have.
Yea I need to convince myself that nothing will happen

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Maybe try writing down what you fear will happen everyday..then after a period of time where nothing has happened it will convince your brain there’s nothing to fear?
Never thought of doing that, good idea

I

Inrar

Using the affirmation 'No matter what happens, I am strong enough to deal with it.' to counteract the dread helps me - reminds me of everything that I've already dealt with, acknowledging the pain but refusing to bow to it.
You got this mate.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Keep getting paranoid about things that will happen