Paranoia getting me down

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

I have been suffering anxiety and depression since I was in my mid 20s but since the death of my mother 5 years ago my anxiety and depression has got more severe and I now suffer from panic disorder too.

I have always been a paranoid person but a recent paranoid situation is making me really unwell. About a week ago I was in town and came across a phone shop selling smartphones.

The shop had shelves at the window with mobile phones on display and whilst looking at the phones a couple of 5 year old kids were playing about pulling faces at me from behind the display of iPhones. I felt really awkward and embarrassed. I then walked into the shop where the kids were making more faces at me and running away and their mother was at the cash desk finding this amusing. She then smiled at me in amusement and I tried to smile back in embarrassment. Whilst she was finding this amusing, she was holding her phone as if she was browsing Facebook or texting.

She asked if I was needing some help in buying a phone but told her I was ok and just looking. When I walked out the shop I got this awful feeling that what if she was filming her kids pulling faces at me and I freaked out and nearly had a panic attack. I have been getting paranoid and dwelling over of this thought all week and it is making me ill. Is there anyway I can sort this out?

ELV

ELV

Paranoia often takes hold of me in the worst ways so I can relate.

Here's my personal advice,

Your choices are to possibly confront the woman about the event, try to overcome it, or let it bother you. Since the last isn't what you're looking for, I'd say either go back and explain your concern or try to let it go.

Easier said than done, for sure. I recommend the good ol' DBT skills:
"non-judgmentally, mindfully, and effectively"
This technique trains the brain to look at the facts while not disregarding our feelings. I recommend looking into it. It takes time to master, but it's worth it.

Best of luck and sending positive vibes your way. I believe you can overcome this obstacle. I hope you find a way that works for you soon.

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

Paranoia often takes hold of me in the worst ways so I can relate.

Here's my personal advice,

Your choices are to possibly confront the woman about the event, try to overcome it, or let it bother you. Since the last isn't what you're looking for, I'd say either go back and explain your concern or try to let it go.

Easier said than done, for sure. I recommend the good ol' DBT skills:
"non-judgmentally, mindfully, and effectively"
This technique trains the brain to look at the facts while not disregarding our feelings. I recommend looking into it. It takes time to master, but it's worth it.

Best of luck and sending positive vibes your way. I believe you can overcome this obstacle. I hope you find a way that works for you soon.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Confronting the woman is the last thing I want to do because of fear of making a full of myself and with my paranoia I would think she was lying anyway if she said she didn't film on her phone.

I mentioned this to my mental health worker and she told me to just to let it go and don't follow and dwell on the thought. She told me to accept and allow the thought but not to analyse the thought and let it pass. She told me the chances of her filming me are remote because it is illegal to film strangers without their consent and one could get into trouble from the law for filming without ones consent.

I have always had this complex of not liking getting my photo or video taking or being on other people's photos or videos since I was a kid. I remember freaking out when I was a small kid when I was at a puppet show and was told I would be getting my picture taken with the puppets. I ended up leaving in panic.

Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid cameras nowadays with the advancements in technology and every damn thing from phones to iPads have a damn camera on them.

L

linus

Even so, I wouldn’t care if somebody would film me, maybe that’s more important? Why care? Live and let live.

ELV

ELV

Even so, I wouldn’t care if somebody would film me, maybe that’s more important? Why care? Live and let live.
Everyone is very different. What might seems like a simple thing to some is a nightmare for others. Phobias and paranoia are not simply shrugged off so easily and take a lot of time to work on.

Artmuzz- That's great that you did talk about it with a professional. That dwelling part is so true. Find a technique for stopping that habit and work at it. Your mental health worker should have examples but if not do some research. It can take many many tries for it to become effective but never give up. That cycle of overthinking is much like an addiction to me and just as harmful.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Confronting the woman is the last thing I want to do because of fear of making a full of myself and with my paranoia I would think she was lying anyway if she said she didn't film on her phone.

I mentioned this to my mental health worker and she told me to just to let it go and don't follow and dwell on the thought. She told me to accept and allow the thought but not to analyse the thought and let it pass. She told me the chances of her filming me are remote because it is illegal to film strangers without their consent and one could get into trouble from the law for filming without ones consent.

I have always had this complex of not liking getting my photo or video taking or being on other people's photos or videos since I was a kid. I remember freaking out when I was a small kid when I was at a puppet show and was told I would be getting my picture taken with the puppets. I ended up leaving in panic.

Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid cameras nowadays with the advancements in technology and every damn thing from phones to iPads have a damn camera on them.
I always hated having my picture taken or getting filmed as well :hug:

Sadly, letting a thought go is easier said than done but I hope you can do it :hug: it's something i struggle with as well :redface::sorry::hug::hug: