• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Panic fear and feeling of losing control

B

Bubbyd

Hi I'm new and I guess I joined as I've been reading a self help book and I realised how much it made me feel not so alone when the book described some of the thoughts and feelings I've been having.
I got diagnosed with panic disorder around 20 years ago I've been on and off antidepressants throughout the years had episodes of panic attacks but nothing compared to now.
My mum got diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer I'm guessing that's what's caused me to spiral I'm at the point know where it feels like my fight or flight switch has been turned on and won't turn off I can't eat sleep concentrate and what used to be just a fear of dying and going mad has moved up a gear I don't want to die which then sets my panic into ultra mode and this has been playing in a loop for a few days now I don't know what to do I have to be strong for my mum but I feel like I'm losing my mind.
I've tried concentrate on my breathing herbal remedies exercise trying to distract myself with tv books etc nothing seems to be calming my nerves or panic.
Has anyone else felt like this please say there is light at the end of what feels like a dark scary tunnel 😳

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bod

Former member
If you're feeling like you want to die, it's important to tell someone.

Help and support is available right now if you need it. You do not have to struggle with difficult feelings alone.

Phone a helpline

These free helplines are there to help when you're feeling down or desperate.

You can also call these helplines for advice if you’re worried about someone else.

In the UK and Ireland, call the Samaritans on 116123.
In the US, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline ion 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, call the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, call Lifeline on 131114.
In New Zealand, call Need to Talk on 1737 or 080017371737.
For other countries please visit this list of crisis helplines.

Useful information

The Forum's page on getting help may also be useful to you. Here is a link to it Mental Health Forum - Getting Help

Here is a link to an article on Suicidal Crisis written by one of the Admin team which you may find helpful Suicidal Crisis

Emergency help

If you are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111 or call the international emergency number of 112).

Please do seek help as soon as possible.

B

Bod

Former member
Hi I'm new and I guess I joined as I've been reading a self help book and I realised how much it made me feel not so alone when the book described some of the thoughts and feelings I've been having.
I got diagnosed with panic disorder around 20 years ago I've been on and off antidepressants throughout the years had episodes of panic attacks but nothing compared to now.
My mum got diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer I'm guessing that's what's caused me to spiral I'm at the point know where it feels like my fight or flight switch has been turned on and won't turn off I can't eat sleep concentrate and what used to be just a fear of dying and going mad has moved up a gear I don't want to die which then sets my panic into ultra mode and this has been playing in a loop for a few days now I don't know what to do I have to be strong for my mum but I feel like I'm losing my mind.
I've tried concentrate on my breathing herbal remedies exercise trying to distract myself with tv books etc nothing seems to be calming my nerves or panic.
Has anyone else felt like this please say there is light at the end of what feels like a dark scary tunnel 😳

Welcome to the forum, I am very sorry to hear about your mother being diagnosed with cancer that must be a horrible feeling to be in and I am sorry that you are struggling as well. You have made a big and good choice in joining here and that is a very big thing to do by reaching out for help and advice. Members will other advice when they see your post as everyone is so caring and helpful, please keep posting as I think you will settle here ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe57

Joe57

Former member
Welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to learn of your difficult situation. I was in a similar situation years ago, but got past it, and now doing better. So yes there is a light at the end of that tunnel.

what worked for me is to tackle my fears head on. I read religious and philosophy books, and talked to knowledgeable people like spiritual advisors, clergy, etc. even though I wasn’t religious, they did provide valuable input, and were able to help me.

please feel free to post in the forums, we are here to help each other.