• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Panic disorder help!

A

AlinaES

Hi guys,
I thought I would join this forum to chat with like minded people who may share the same experiences as I do.
I was diagnosed with panic disorder about 3 years ago, after struggling with horrific panic attacks I started CBT and managed to slightly overcome some of my issues. Now 3 years later, I have had to quit my job due to a relapse. Also, because of lockdown and not being able to get out much I have recently developed agoraphobia. Every time I even think about venturing into the outside world I have major anxiety, and whenever I do enter the outside world it’s just one long panic attack. The panic attacks are worse than ever and I’m afraid I have been so scared by them that it has manifested itself even worse this time. My biggest fear is even just walking down the street alone as I constantly feel like I’m going to faint and I know I’m having a panic attack, which makes me panic more! I’ve recently contacted my doctor and have been put on a waiting list to receive CBT once again.
I was hoping in the mean time that joining this forum and chatting to people may help. So if you have any tips or tricks that have helped you overcome your panic attacks/anxiety please let me know!
I try the usual breathing techniques and also try have an overall positive mindset -but I think most of us know that’s easier said than done sometimes-!
Thanks in advance

M

MoonShade

Hi AlinaES,

CBT helped me a bit to panic less but I found that it was like putting a band-aid over a huge, infected wound. In the end, what helped me was digging deeper in therapy and learning about how to stop "old tapes" from running in my mind...essentially had to reprogram my mind to believe that I can handle having a panic attack, that I had the inner resources to know what to do. I think the trick is to practice mindfulness and meditation when you're feeling safe and ok because it makes it easier for your mind to do that later when you're unwell, if that makes sense...self soothing becomes a natural response if you do it enough times when you're not in panic mode.

A

AlinaES

Hi AlinaES,

CBT helped me a bit to panic less but I found that it was like putting a band-aid over a huge, infected wound. In the end, what helped me was digging deeper in therapy and learning about how to stop "old tapes" from running in my mind...essentially had to reprogram my mind to believe that I can handle having a panic attack, that I had the inner resources to know what to do. I think the trick is to practice mindfulness and meditation when you're feeling safe and ok because it makes it easier for your mind to do that later when you're unwell, if that makes sense...self soothing becomes a natural response if you do it enough times when you're not in panic mode.
Thanks for your response. Yeah I found when I did CBT last time it helped for a short while, but nothing long lasting!
I was thinking about delving deeper in therapy sessions also to try and find the route of my issues, maybe that will help! I struggle with meditation sometimes but will for sure try that again, thank you!

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi AlinaES,
Welcome to the forum
I'm sorry to hear you suffer with panic attacks.
They are horrible, luckily breathing exercises helps me.
I hope the CBT helps, try to find your triggers if you can.
We're here to listen anytime.
Hugs

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Panic disorder for a year now Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
D GAD/Panic Disorder/ ADD and ... Vertigo ? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
F Panic disorder Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
I Parent with panic disorder Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
K Panic Disorder experience and treatment Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
K Panic disorder experience Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Panic Disorder Experience Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
C Agoraphobia/Fear of Choking/Panic Disorder Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Can you be successful despite panic disorder? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
M panic disorder Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
Shayfury Med change triggered panic relapse Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
L Panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
lilbat Panic attack? Or something else? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
D What do you do when you get panic attack, please help? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 37
P Panic attacks becoming more frequent and intense. Not sure what to do. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
sparrowling Panic Attacks Rare Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
R Can panic last hours? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
J 45M-Was this Angina, extreme dehydration/heat exhaustion, indigestion/heartburn or a panic attack? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
H HEAT INDUCED PANIC ATTACKS - please share your experiences Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
blog15 how to jog a panic attack.> Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
E Do I have anxiety or having a panic attack? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
D Having panic about my sexuality Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 13
Z Panic attacks or anxiety? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
Antimatter Panic attack! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
T i feel ashamed of taking my medication to stop my panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 13
M Feeling like I'm forever in panic mode Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
B Muted panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
Antimatter Constant shortness of breath and panic Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 13
M Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
Loobypie Panic attacks everyday at the same time for 17 days Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
S Panic attack symptoms Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 17
B Panic Attack symptoms Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
N I had my first ever panic attack in one of my college classes Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
K My first severe panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
H Currently having a panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
sad_heart20 how panic overwhelmed me everyday Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
G Panic attacks triggered Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 0
L Panic attacks and intense palpitations ruining my life!!! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
R Horrible Panic Attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
F Advice on how to recover after severe panic attack? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
P Panic!!!! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
soulsearcher Having a bad panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 11
A Agoraphobia brought on by panic/anxiety attacks on transport. Need advice! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
sparrowling Panic Attack Last Night No Medication Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
S 7 weeks and still no explanation... Panic attack Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
L PLEASE HELP Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 6
magpie3318 Help please Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
H Help Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
7 I need help Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
M Please Help Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3