• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Panic attacks or anxiety?

Z

Zimzim4

Hi guys, hope your all well.
Ive always been a quiet shy'ish person, never really liked the attention but I could always deal with it. Ive done speaches to large audiences and always managed just fine on the spot.
Lately ive been struggling talking to even 2 people. If i feel like the spotlight is on me and people are judging me etc. When this happens i start to feel uncomfertable, fidgety, burn up, go faint, rapid heartbeat, throat feels strange and struggle to get words out.
I end up just walking off and i can be shaking for a couple of hours later. I am constantly avoiding these situations and its really effecting me in work.
Could anyone shed some light on what kind of disorder you think i may have? Ive been struggling for a few months now and it seems to be getting worse.
Thank you

P

Purpleplum

Sounds like a panic attack.

babyblue22

babyblue22

Sorry to hear you are struggling. I’m not a health professional but it sounds like a panic disorder or a high functioning anxiety disorder. I can’t help with a diagnosis but do you have any coping mechanisms? Breathing techniques are key to both of the disorders I have mentioned.

Z

Zimzim4

Thanks for the replies. No i just have to walk away from the situation as i feel i may faint. Ive no idea why this is suddenly happening. Ive had no trauma or bad experiences in the past few months to trigger this. Its just completely out of the blue.

Z

Zimzim4

Well I finally decided to call my doctor and have been prescribed Citalopram and Propranolol. I hope this is my road to a normal mind again.

babyblue22

babyblue22

Well done for calling your doctor! Big step in the right direction. Been on propranolol and citalopram and worked well for my panic attacks and anxiety. Keep us updated 🙂

Z

Zimzim4

Thank you. Yes ive finally realised its a real problem and wont just go away on its own. I also have a counselling session booked in 6 weeks time. Ive not even told my partner ive been struggling, so that will be tonights job.

babyblue22

babyblue22

Good luck with telling him tonight, I’m sure he will be more understanding then you think! I’m so happy things are looking more positive for you 🙂 Let us know how it goes tonight please x