• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Panic Attacks - Driving Paralyzes Me

Livingsacrifice

Livingsacrifice

Hey there,

Recently, I have an unrealistic fear of passing out while driving. When I get behind the wheel I got sweaty, claiming palms, lightheaded, and hot flashes. I don't know what to do as I really need to be able to drive for my life to stay afloat. It gets to the point I pull over every 15 mins on highways to cry and hyperventilate because I'm so terrified.

Anyone have advice for overcoming fears of daily activities that are immediate triggers to a severe panic attack. Any advice or support is appreciated.

arodi007

arodi007

I think for most people who started driving for first time, we were all scared. And for me having someone trusted at my side help me calm down.
When i started to drive alone, it was sure scary and didnt really understand why i was feeling such even tho i like driving.
Then i saw that advice from a military who said he need to convert his stress/adrenaline into concentration instead of losing control or fear of being attack.
I tried to change my mindset like it just adrenaline and it help me having a better vision on the road and decrease my reaction time.
Usually people are good drivers and it hard to cause accident. Putting an L on your car help others take more precaution to you as well (not sure if it the same in your country). That way u will worry less.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Trigger warning - symptoms that can be disturbing ..anyone experienced this during or after panic attacks? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
stevie_sloth I didn't know I had panic attacks for 20 years Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
I Coming from a country where people are not educated about panic attacks is difficult (a rant) Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 6
S Panic Attacks and Sertraline Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
L Intense panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 10
H My mom is having panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
T Panic attacks but not anxiety triggered Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
L Help. Girlfriend panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
N Panic attacks are back after 4 years. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Passing out from panic attacks? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
P Panic attacks becoming more frequent and intense. Not sure what to do. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 10
sparrowling Panic Attacks Rare Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
H HEAT INDUCED PANIC ATTACKS - please share your experiences Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 11
Z Panic attacks or anxiety? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
T i feel ashamed of taking my medication to stop my panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 13
B Muted panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
M Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 8
Loobypie Panic attacks everyday at the same time for 17 days Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
G Panic attacks triggered Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 0
L Panic attacks and intense palpitations ruining my life!!! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 12
R Horrible Panic Attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 6
A Agoraphobia brought on by panic/anxiety attacks on transport. Need advice! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
P Panic attacks are paralyzing me :( Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
M Being paralyzed with panic attacks... Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
Amber1964 Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
buzzbuzz When having panic attacks, do you feel as if your heart rate is very low? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
frisas45 Has anyone dealt with the burden of taking care of someone, especially you having panic attacks as a result? How did you overcome them? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
Ell9199 Panic attacks constantly Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
C Anyone have panic attacks that cause diarrhea? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 8
P Middle of the night panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
F Panic Attacks After Childhood Trauma Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
S Weird, very short panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
October Panic attacks + Depersonalization Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
A Panic Attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 8
H panic attacks coming back Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
B Panic attacks maybe? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
M Very physical panic attacks. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
N Panic attacks and work Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
T Started having panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
N I hate panic attacks!!! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
N Two panic attacks in the last two hours Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
S Question regarding blood sugar levels and Panic Attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
N A book that help me to cope with agoraphobia an panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Extreme noise aversion, panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
S Just when I started getting better at dealing with panic attacks.. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
coldwater00 Panic attacks? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
L My Panic attacks and Agoraphobia are simply crazy Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
amathus Do you have panic attacks? How do YOU deal with them? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
H Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5