• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Panic attacks are back after 4 years.

N

NoctoDragon

Hi all.

Basically I had my biggest ever panic attack about 3 weeks ago after not having one for about 3 years. It was 5 years before that when I had my first attack.

It turns out I was just coming down with covid so I don't know if that upset my stomach and set me off. I have mostly recovered from covid now but last night I was very close to another panic attack. I somehow managed to stop it and take a propranolol which I just got prescribed.

I also got diagnosed with Autism a few days after my panic attack. So a huge panic attack, covid and an Autism diagnosis all within about 2 days!

I am hoping to find some advice from people who know what it's like. Maybe getting more exercise or eating better. Has anyone done that and found it helped or something different?

I am 36 but I am at college in my second year and it's making it difficult to study. Maybe I just need to give myself time because covid was pretty rough physically.

I have been on also on fluoxetine for about 3 years for anxiety and depression but I have taken antidepressants on and off since about 2007.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully talking about it will help.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm sorry to hear about your recent panic attacks, brush with covid and your autism diagnosis.

I have an uncle who's currently in hospital, he originally went in for throat cancer and they removed his voice box but they also did a test and said he had covid, last I heard he was experiencing a very fast heartbeat which they suspect may be anxiety related but because he had existing heart problems (angina) they can't use conventional medication to lower the rate, so they may be contemplating putting him in an induced coma. The whole family are very worried for him.

Is the propranolol helping do you think? And do you have any idea what may be triggering your attacks?

N

NoctoDragon

I'm really sorry for what you uncle is going through. As if things are not bad enough for him already. I hope he hangs in there and gets through it all.
I have heard a lot of people where I live going into hospital for something else and catching covid.

When I get a stomach cramp or eat too much It can make feel vulnerable to panic attacks. My doctor said she thinks I have IBS so probably doesn't help. I need to improve my diet.
I have taken propranolol on about 6 different occasions and never had an attack afterwards. So it probably does something although I don't notice it too much.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on Sertraline (Zoloft) for my social anxiety and I take it everyday.

It's good that you can use yours 'pro re nata' (PRN or as needed), that will mean you don't get many side effects if any at all?

Have they booked you in for any talking therapy like CBT, my sister has panic attacks and borderline agoraphobia and she had CBT. Last I checked I think she was using Propranolol.

N

NoctoDragon

I don't seem to get any side effects from propranolol which is great. I am supposed to take 40mg when needed. I don't take it everyday.

The doctor sent me a list of places that can help with things like CBT and things like that, but it's really hard to get support for mental health. My main worry is that the panic attacks are going to get more regular. Hopefully that's just me worrying. I seem to be able to control them and prevent them sometimes, but it is very difficult.