• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Panic attacks are back after 4 years.

N

NoctoDragon

Hi all.

Basically I had my biggest ever panic attack about 3 weeks ago after not having one for about 3 years. It was 5 years before that when I had my first attack.

It turns out I was just coming down with covid so I don't know if that upset my stomach and set me off. I have mostly recovered from covid now but last night I was very close to another panic attack. I somehow managed to stop it and take a propranolol which I just got prescribed.

I also got diagnosed with Autism a few days after my panic attack. So a huge panic attack, covid and an Autism diagnosis all within about 2 days!

I am hoping to find some advice from people who know what it's like. Maybe getting more exercise or eating better. Has anyone done that and found it helped or something different?

I am 36 but I am at college in my second year and it's making it difficult to study. Maybe I just need to give myself time because covid was pretty rough physically.

I have been on also on fluoxetine for about 3 years for anxiety and depression but I have taken antidepressants on and off since about 2007.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully talking about it will help.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm sorry to hear about your recent panic attacks, brush with covid and your autism diagnosis.

I have an uncle who's currently in hospital, he originally went in for throat cancer and they removed his voice box but they also did a test and said he had covid, last I heard he was experiencing a very fast heartbeat which they suspect may be anxiety related but because he had existing heart problems (angina) they can't use conventional medication to lower the rate, so they may be contemplating putting him in an induced coma. The whole family are very worried for him.

Is the propranolol helping do you think? And do you have any idea what may be triggering your attacks?

N

NoctoDragon

I'm really sorry for what you uncle is going through. As if things are not bad enough for him already. I hope he hangs in there and gets through it all.
I have heard a lot of people where I live going into hospital for something else and catching covid.

When I get a stomach cramp or eat too much It can make feel vulnerable to panic attacks. My doctor said she thinks I have IBS so probably doesn't help. I need to improve my diet.
I have taken propranolol on about 6 different occasions and never had an attack afterwards. So it probably does something although I don't notice it too much.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on Sertraline (Zoloft) for my social anxiety and I take it everyday.

It's good that you can use yours 'pro re nata' (PRN or as needed), that will mean you don't get many side effects if any at all?

Have they booked you in for any talking therapy like CBT, my sister has panic attacks and borderline agoraphobia and she had CBT. Last I checked I think she was using Propranolol.

N

NoctoDragon

I don't seem to get any side effects from propranolol which is great. I am supposed to take 40mg when needed. I don't take it everyday.

The doctor sent me a list of places that can help with things like CBT and things like that, but it's really hard to get support for mental health. My main worry is that the panic attacks are going to get more regular. Hopefully that's just me worrying. I seem to be able to control them and prevent them sometimes, but it is very difficult.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
stevie_sloth I didn't know I had panic attacks for 20 years Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
O Trigger warning - symptoms that can be disturbing ..anyone experienced this during or after panic attacks? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
I Coming from a country where people are not educated about panic attacks is difficult (a rant) Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 6
S Panic Attacks and Sertraline Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
L Intense panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 10
Livingsacrifice Panic Attacks - Driving Paralyzes Me Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
H My mom is having panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
T Panic attacks but not anxiety triggered Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
L Help. Girlfriend panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
K Passing out from panic attacks? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
P Panic attacks becoming more frequent and intense. Not sure what to do. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 10
sparrowling Panic Attacks Rare Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
H HEAT INDUCED PANIC ATTACKS - please share your experiences Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 10
Z Panic attacks or anxiety? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
T i feel ashamed of taking my medication to stop my panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 13
B Muted panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
M Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 8
Loobypie Panic attacks everyday at the same time for 17 days Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
G Panic attacks triggered Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 0
L Panic attacks and intense palpitations ruining my life!!! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 12
R Horrible Panic Attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 6
A Agoraphobia brought on by panic/anxiety attacks on transport. Need advice! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
P Panic attacks are paralyzing me :( Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
M Being paralyzed with panic attacks... Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
Amber1964 Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
buzzbuzz When having panic attacks, do you feel as if your heart rate is very low? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
frisas45 Has anyone dealt with the burden of taking care of someone, especially you having panic attacks as a result? How did you overcome them? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
Ell9199 Panic attacks constantly Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
C Anyone have panic attacks that cause diarrhea? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 8
P Middle of the night panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 7
F Panic Attacks After Childhood Trauma Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
S Weird, very short panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
October Panic attacks + Depersonalization Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
A Panic Attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 8
H panic attacks coming back Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
B Panic attacks maybe? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 1
M Very physical panic attacks. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
N Panic attacks and work Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
T Started having panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
N I hate panic attacks!!! Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
N Two panic attacks in the last two hours Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
S Question regarding blood sugar levels and Panic Attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
N A book that help me to cope with agoraphobia an panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 4
K Extreme noise aversion, panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 3
S Just when I started getting better at dealing with panic attacks.. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
coldwater00 Panic attacks? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 9
L My Panic attacks and Agoraphobia are simply crazy Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 2
amathus Do you have panic attacks? How do YOU deal with them? Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5
H Panic attacks Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 5