• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Panic Attacks and Sertraline

S

Steph123

Hi Guys,

Found myself googling the reviews of Sertraline and ended up here (probably shouldn't have done that)

I am 27 and around a month ago i started suffering with random panic attacks, about 6/7 a day, i thought i was having a heart attack at first as i had never experienced it before. I have been on beta-blockers since the start of July only 80mg per day (2 tablets) which did help as i wasnt having as many per day but they have started to get worse again. The doctor put me on sertraline to start this morning (I took my first tablet this morning around 9am) - the doctor knew i was relunctant to take these as I have heard so many bad things. However, around 2pm I started experiencing a burning sensation like run through my body into my chest which kept coming and going, of course as soon as I felt this wave it brought on a panic attack and as soon as it went this kept happening for about an hour and a half. I went back to the doctor as I was about to go to A&E, she checked my pulse and said it was all fine. She told me to stop taking the sertraline and just go up to 120mg of beta-blockers. I feel like a failure for stopping on day 1 but I could not do 3-4 weeks of today. Has anyone had anything similar? Looking for ANY advice at this point it's becoming unbearable.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
:welcome:
I don't know what happened but i feel if we start to take a medication like an antidepressant, we have to really feel we need it. Maybe as you were uncertain and worried, you panicked?

It is a bit worrying, but i have been on medication for many years now and i do focus on sensations and what is happening with my mood, when i take a new medication. I don't panic though, i know i have to give it time, 2 weeks minimum. They are strong, so there will be side effects, and i think it depends on how depressed you are to struggle through those side effects. How desperate are you for relief from depression?

Maybe if you reach a point of not coping again, you could ask for a different SSRI. My cousin had Sertraline and did not get on with it, and tried Citalopram. There is Fluoxetine too, there are many different ones and so another may be better as in your body will react differently to it.

It is like getting drunk in a way, you know something is going on in your body with what you are putting in it. You know what side effects there will be.

No more googling!

NHS, Mind, RCPsych only, if you have to read anything. We all react differently and you have to do your own science experiment on yourself and see slowly over time if it makes you feel better.

S

Steph123

Thank you for replying!!

I am not suffering from depression, just anxiety and panic attacks which have come out the blue. I don't have depressive thoughts etc as such although I just feel low all the time now due to this as it's all I can think about. My heart is fine i just need to keep telling myself i just need the physical symptoms to disappear! I feel like a bit of a failure giving up on Sertraline after not even 1 day. I did originally ask for the Citalopram, however my doctor said they dont like to offer that as a first option as the side effects are worse apparently! I may ask for it though now.

Thanks x

I

Inie

Sertraline gave me horrible side effects. I discontinued after day 3. I am on Pristiq (generic) it works a lot better and had no side effects. I too have panic disorder but it is mostly controlled.

S

Steph123

It’s awful, I’ve not experienced this hot feeling in my chest before since today and obviously the beta blockers don’t even get of those ☹

L

Littlebirdx

Hi Steph I have also experienced this feeling. Starting on beta blockers about a week ago.
because of panic attacks I’ve recently been having since I had my COVID jab. Burning sensation at the peak of an attack through my whole body. Also strange bitter taste in my mouth when it was finished have you had this? As I only just started taking the beta blockers it cannot be the cause. However I have been on escitalopram for 6 months. It seem strange that the burning only started when you started taking those? Just thinking out loud here as this has never happened to me in my life before this and I just want to know why causing it. Hope your feeling abit better now and if you ever need to talk I’m here xx

S

Steph123

Hi, no I haven’t had the bitter taste I only started experiencing them yesterday so I presumed it was from the sertraline. The doctor said the burning sensation is just an extreme wave of adrenaline as it feels like as soon as it’s gone through my body it goes. I’ve stopped taking the sertraline and gone up to 120mg beta blockers for now, it’s good to hear other people experiencing these I was starting to think I am going mental in my head xx

L

Looking for hope

Hi Guys,

Found myself googling the reviews of Sertraline and ended up here (probably shouldn't have done that)

I am 27 and around a month ago i started suffering with random panic attacks, about 6/7 a day, i thought i was having a heart attack at first as i had never experienced it before. I have been on beta-blockers since the start of July only 80mg per day (2 tablets) which did help as i wasnt having as many per day but they have started to get worse again. The doctor put me on sertraline to start this morning (I took my first tablet this morning around 9am) - the doctor knew i was relunctant to take these as I have heard so many bad things. However, around 2pm I started experiencing a burning sensation like run through my body into my chest which kept coming and going, of course as soon as I felt this wave it brought on a panic attack and as soon as it went this kept happening for about an hour and a half. I went back to the doctor as I was about to go to A&E, she checked my pulse and said it was all fine. She told me to stop taking the sertraline and just go up to 120mg of beta-blockers. I feel like a failure for stopping on day 1 but I could not do 3-4 weeks of today. Has anyone had anything similar? Looking for ANY advice at this point it's becoming unbearable.
Hi Steph
I experienced something quite similar to you in the first days I started taking sertraline. Burning sensations and hot flashes with weird tingly feelings. I was truly uncomfortable but since you have to take medications for 2 to 4 weeks to start to see results and acclimate your body I stuck it out and I'm glad I did. It has started to help tremendously and the physical symptoms went away after about a week. Never feel like a failure. You'll eventually find what's a right fit for you.