• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Panic Attack?

dollylama

dollylama

Founding Member
I've been very stressed out lately. About 2 weeks ago after a meal, I started having palpitations. I had been overeating a bit due to the stress. Several days later I had mild chest pains and tingling sensations on my left arm so I panicked (angina?) and went to see a cardiologist.

After listening to my heart rate the doctor sent me to get an X-ray done and it came out fine. I started having weird symptoms in the following days: shortness of breath & dizziness. That's when I found the possibility of a panic attack, after several symptom searches on Google.

Has anyone ever experienced a panic attack with the exact same symptoms?:unsure:

dollylama

dollylama

Founding Member
Eek! Sorry about that. I didn't see it. :( Still trying to accustom myself in here.:redface:

D

Dollit

Don't worry - it's quite a big place to find your way around. :)

M

matewzin

Panic attacks

Panic attacks are due to an underlying evolutionary response which is being trigger out of context. The "fight or flight" response occurs in response to danger, flooding your body with adrenaline. With panic attacks. this response is trigger without any obvious sign of danger.
http://www.anxietycoach.com/pan5.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dollit

The first entry in this thread you may find useful Matewzin as it is an article about the causes & symptoms of panic attacks and how to deal with them.

L

Lou17

I too have felt the same things just before a panic attack.

drymyeyes

drymyeyes

i find i feel the tingling during panic attacks but i believe thats due to ther not being enough oxygen in my blood?? correct me if im rong
x

D

Dollit

You can stop the tingling by breathing in and out of a paper bag

lucid scream

lucid scream

i find i feel the tingling during panic attacks but i believe thats due to ther not being enough oxygen in my blood?? correct me if im rong
x
anytime i go to my regular doctor or have been to the hospital one of the first things they do, while checking my blood pressure usually, is chech my pulse and O2 level using a pulse-ox, which is the little clip they put on the end of your finger.
but i cant tell you how many times ive gone to the E.R. thinking i was dying of a heart attack only to find i was having a panic attack. its pretty common, i think. chest pains, tingling, hyperventilating, i even have a spot on my right thigh that goes completely numb, i can poke a needle in it and not feel a thing. panic attacks can do funny things to your body.
i may be wrong, but i think to rule out a heart problem you will need a stress test on a treadmill not an x-ray. x-rays are for bones. was it maybe an MRI?

drymyeyes

drymyeyes

anytime i go to my regular doctor or have been to the hospital one of the first things they do, while checking my blood pressure usually, is chech my pulse and O2 level using a pulse-ox, which is the little clip they put on the end of your finger.
but i cant tell you how many times ive gone to the E.R. thinking i was dying of a heart attack only to find i was having a panic attack. its pretty common, i think. chest pains, tingling, hyperventilating, i even have a spot on my right thigh that goes completely numb, i can poke a needle in it and not feel a thing. panic attacks can do funny things to your body.
i may be wrong, but i think to rule out a heart problem you will need a stress test on a treadmill not an x-ray. x-rays are for bones. was it maybe an MRI?
yeah we phoned an ambulance for my boyfriend the other weekend because he came bak from a club n we thort he had ben spiked or something but it was just a strange panic attack. yh my hands go numb i passed out once before and went totally blind for about 5 minutes from the lack of oxygen was reali scary but it is strange how small things can afftect your body. x

B

bburns

Yes, exactly. The severe attacks I often just go numb in my limbs. I have been to the emergency room 2-3 times panic attack related. The first was horrible. I had heart tests and was told it was fine. My heart was beating twice the normal rate and all the Doctor said, was to calm down! Like I had a choice on it. Then they gave me something, not sure what it was even. I was only 17 when this happened. I imagine a benzo. :)