• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

panic attack

L

lonelyandlost

My Dr pulled all the stops out for me these last couple of months, she has listene to me, supported me, stepped back and given me space and also rung me if I haven't visited her in a week or 2. I know she understands how I feel about going out the house and tried to set a lot of the things up within my house.

She pushed forward a pych appointment, she even tried to get a female one, but couldn't. My key worker she has managed to get me is female, and I am really trying not to push her away and to work with her.

I had an appointment Tuesday with the psyc and the key worker said she would come with me as it was a male dr.
I sat in the waiting room and it was awful. I managed to stay composed while I was alone, but inside I was burning with fear and wanted so badly to S/H.
My keyworker walked through the door and I broke down, tears and full blown panic attack. she managed to get me out of the buiding, but the dr was running nearly an hour late and that was far too much for me, I ended up saying I couldn't do it any more and had to go home. I never got to see the dr. She is doing her bet to see if he will come and do an home appointment, I feel so stupid and feel so embarrassed. She (key worker)is coming to see me at home on Tusday and I feel like I can't face her now. I really don't know what to do. I want to get the help and not push her away but I feel I am pushing again. :(

S

*Sapphire*

Hi lonelyandlost,

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience whilst waiting for your psychiatrist after you had managed to get to the appointment even though you were experiencing a great amount of anxiety over it.

Personally i think that for anyone waiting an hour to see them in a strange place is unreasonable, never mind someone who is dealing with great anxiety.
I wouldn't worry about what your keyworker thinks, she has probably seen it happen before with a number of her clients because anxiety is a symptom that alot of persons with mental health issues suffer with, so please don't feel stupid or embarassed.

I'm pleased she is trying to get the appointment at your home. If not, just make sure that your keyworker explains your anxiety issues to the psych and explains that if he is going to be late again then you would have to leave immediately to avoid having another anxiety attack. This should hopefully put some of your fears to rest, make you feel more in control of the situation so you know you can leave if he is late with no repercussions to you, and highlight to the psych the importance that you are seen on time this time.

A

anastasia

my sw came to see the psych with me too cos otherwise i'd have said nothing and he knows that.

but yeah, mine was running about 30 minutes late and i was getting to the point of leaving cos i just didn't want to be there anymore. the only thig that saved me was my sw. he just sat and talked to me about anything other than what was going on.

hugs.

seems like key workers / sw are a yorkshire thing!

L

lonelyandlost

Thank you for your replies
I think most of it was that it was in our local Mental Health Hospital and the 'waiting room' was full of men and one of them was clearly annoyed with something and very loud too. I am a naturally timid person.
I also have a fear of being alone at the moment with men after what had happened. ( I am not putting all men in the same basket, but I am more scared round them)
I know I have to see the key worker again, but I am starting to panic again about it, and keep bursting into tears whenever I think about the psyc as I always seem to get back to waiting in the waiting room, even though I try and steer my thoughts away from it.

A

Audsods

Lost and lonely

I'm so sorry you had such a negative experience but there are some ways to address this so that another time it won't be so bad. I suffer from agoraphobia and panic disorder and totally understand the fears around what you had to do that day.
Firstly could you arrange for your key worker to come to your house and take you to the appt? She could sit with you which makes a huge difference.
Secondly have you a breathing regime practised to use whenever you need it? I know most people would say that's silly but I assure you nobody was more sceptical than me about it but it definitely works. Practise at home when feeling fine. Breathe in for 6 counts and out for 6 counts for 4 minutes and then return breathing to as near normal as poss. This is very brief but I'm sure you key worker could teach you.
While waiting for anything I find breathing is key to whether I succeed or not. Also an ipod with relaxing music playing keeps me distracted from what is actually going on in front of me.
You should never have been kept waiting for so long but that is so common. The very people that know that waiting is insufferable are the ones that keep you sitting beyond what's a reasonable delay. Not a lot you can do about that but use coping techniques to get you through it.
Try to rationalise the embarrassement you've experienced with your key worker seeing you have a panic attack. That's all part of a day's work for her and it's good for her to have to cope with that so she will know what could happen another time you're out together. It doesn't make you a bad person just an unwell one. If you allow each panic attack to stop you living it will be such a vertical struggle and you don't need to make it any worse for yourself. Life is hard but there are people out there like your key worker who can help you find a way of coping. Things will get better but you have to be willing to work hard on helping yourself - and I don't say that in anything but a positive way.
I'll be thinking about you - good luck.:)

S

*Sapphire*

That's good advice Audsods. If I am anxious I try using a technique called mindfulness. There is a lot on the web about it, and it is used in a variety of therapies aimed at alleviating a variety of mental health problems. I also try to find something really absorbing to do to take my focus off what is going on around me. For me reading a magazine i've really been looking forward to reading, or doing crosswords, sudoko or doing something complex with my hands like a puzzle, or knitting for example (as I can't knit well and it takes up my whole concentration!).

If you go onto a really packed train you will notice that alot of people on there also undertake various activities perhaps to distract from the discomfort they are feeling from being in close proximity to complete strangers. Like listening to ipods, reading, knitting etc. I can only assume that it helps them stay in the zone, and alleviates some anxiety. I often get ideas for activities to help manage my anxiety from what I see others doing in that situation.

A

Audsods

Mindfulness

Hi - The mindfulness idea sounds good - I'll try and find out about it on the web. Have you any useful links to pass onto me?
Distraction is so useful - much more so than you would think. It's all about practising all the time so that when you are in a stressful situation it comes more naturally to put into action one of your coping strategies. It doesn't work if you leave it only to try it when you are under stress - too late then. I practise breathing exercises several times a day and it doesn't take long. I use craft work as a distraction in the house which works for me as it's only limitation is my imagination.
Life's not easy but we can try to help ourselves in lots of ways. One being to stop hitting ourselves over the head with a big proverbial stick all the time when things go wrong.

L

lonelyandlost

Thank you so much for all the information, I will look into it in the next few days.
my key worker turned up today with the dr, but she had managed to swap it to a female.
I am just so crap though, I did my bet to talk but I couldn't do it, that then made the key worker question me as to whether I wanted to get better :(
I then get a call from the education authority that they have moved my daughters appeal to tomorrow,
I am in a true mess now, I am now just going from one panic attack to the next. How do I stand alone in front of a panel and fight for a place at school for my child. I barely leave the house. People more than scare me at the bet of times.
I feel so alone and I really don't want to do this, I know I have to try but I am going to make a total prat of myself.

A

Audsods

Advocacy

Have you ever heard of Advocacy for people suffering from Mental Health Issues? I live in Scotland and we have lots of advocacy services - they are paid or volunteers who work with you to empower you to be able to say what it is you need to say to those in authority. If you can't speak you will have agreed what they will say for you. It's a great service and free of charge. I've used our local advocacy for about 8 years now and have only last week used them for the last time as I don't feel I need their help anymore. My advocates have helped me look at things in a different way but also over the years have empowered me to know what is acceptable to challenge etc. Phone up you local Citizens Advice Bureau and they will give you the correct contact details. I really think you need somebody's support right now.

Take care.

L

lonelyandlost

Hiya
Thank you so much for replying
No I haven't heard of advocacy, but will look into it.

Today was a total disaster, I had panic attack after panic attack and ended up calling S+W mental health team twice through the night to stop me taking an overdose and to try to get my breathing sorted.

Well today, I managed to get on a bus, which is a big step, but more often on the the trip to town I had tears of fear.
I got to the Town Hall and managed to get in the building, I thought all was well, I booked in and got to the committee room.

I sat waiting outside the room and could feel the attack coming on, manage to control it with breathing and told them part of my situation, by this time I had tear rolling down my face.
I listened to them peak and still controlled it by breathing techniques, till it came to my turn to speak, then I lost it, I couldn't breathe, making al sorts of noises in a desperate attempt to get some air, then passed out. I came too quickly made my way out and nearly passed out again and ended up being attended by a first aider :(

I am going to be offered another date but I know I can't do it, the only other person is my hubby and he won't do it on his own.
I have totally let my daughter down. She is going to have to go to the school that was given :(
She deserves so much better. so much more than me, I am no real mum :(

A

Audsods

You're doing better than you think

Hi - you are so brave and I can see so much of my thinking in what you write so I hope you don't mind if I try and give you some pointers on what you've said.
first of all you asked for help through the night when you needed support - that's terrific well done - keep doing it.
Secondly you went to the town hall on a bus - my goodness that's wonderful. You were bound to be so anxious about the meeting far less adding in all the stimuli of a bus etc. You did all you could and I'm sorry that you had to put yourself through such an ordeal and you held it together for so long. Our bodies can only cope with so much and when it gets to a certain point there is nothing we can do to stop the panic you just have to let it take it's course. Of course you needed help - I'd say you should have had support from somebody all the way from the house and through such a vital meeting. Give that some thought and if there is someone who you could ask to support you in future you should really think about asking - all they can say in "no" which we all have the right to do.
I don't know the details of your request to change school placement but is it as vital as you think it is? What age is your daughter? Is Primary or secondary school? You don't need to tell me if you don't want to. Would you and your husband not go together to the meeting and then you are a support to each other?
You have not failed your daughter - that is seriously negative thinking. You did what you could withing dreadful conditions at the time. Nobody can ask for more. Don't say you can't do it again because given a bit of planning and forward thinking, which all panic attack sufferers should use, you could go again with the correct support and read out what you want to say. Preparation is key to such situations I believe.
I'm amazed at what you have achieved and even though I don't know you at all - very proud of you - well done. Stop cringing - as I know that's what I do when I get positive feedback - but just try to accept it and say thanks and move on.
Let me know how you are and give yourself a break today - you will be exhausted by yesterday.(y)

L

lonelyandlost

Well this last week and next week have been and will be a big challenge for me a there are so many appointments to attend..

I just wondered if I am causing these panic attacks, I rang up for some help from the mental health team and the woman told me they were all in my head and I could manage to do all the things that everyone else does and there is no need to have these attacks.

So why can't I do it? Why do I cause these attacks? I don't mean to and don't realise I am causing them. I just wanted some support not to be told I was at fault and should get on with it

S

*Sapphire*

I'm sorry lonelyandlost but I don't think that what that person said was helpful at all. I am sure if you felt that you could control them then you would. It seems that all that person did was tell you that you should be able to control them without giving you any direction or guidance on how to do so.

My panic attacks are apparently caused by panic disorder which my psyche explained was to do with an over-reaction of my body to slight anxiety. He said that it is something I can not control (as I have out of desperation tried every technique going to control them), and I have to take meds to help me which have worked wonders in my case. They are not benzodiazepines or addictive and they really help. It was the first time a professional in my care saw it as something that I really could not control and really helped me.

Unfortunately some people under the MH teams are better than others. Was it the crisis team? Sometimes ppl in the crisis team are not as well trained as CPNs.

Although I had good members of my crisis team some were abonimable. One could barely speak English, she asked me about my problems and once I started explaining them said that she could not understand them and asked me to stop speaking about them?! She then went on to explain about her anxiety about the questions she had to answer in her citizenship test and started asking me to direct her for answers?!

In that situation I would ask to speak to someone who could help, because that person in your MH team clearly wasn't offering advice that motivates you and validates your issues, it seems that they just demotivated you altogether.

L

lonelyandlost

Thanks sapphire
I really don't know if it was the crisis team or not that I spoke to.. It was the duty nurse for night calls.

I did try ringing up again the following night to sort myself out and I ended up with a male on the phone ( I managed to sort my head and start to peak to him) but I quickly realised that he didn't understand me, his English was so poor and when I got annoyed because I was repeating myself 4/5 times every time I spoke he said with that attitude I was destined to keep my mental health issues.
(I wasn't abusive, all I said was it's ok, I will go and call Samaritans)
Never again will I reach out for there help again

A

Audsods

Not helpful

Hi again - I'm sorry I meant to reply much sooner but got caught up in family things.
I think the way you have been treated was appauling. it was both disrespectful and demeaning. No health professional no matter of what status should feel free to talk to you like that. There will be a complaints procedure in place if you look up the web and if you feel you are strong enough to do it and not upset yourself too much.
Panic attacks are a real condition which are uncontrollable and we need help to manage them when they happen but nothing is going to stop them or make them go away apart from improvement of our condition. Unhelpful people like that are in the wrong job. You need to find out who you can trust to be helpful and try and use them if possible - I know that is easier said than done. Would it be helpful to really explain what that feels like to your GP or Phsychiatrist?
I'm sending you a big hug through this email - don't give up keep fighting the system - you deserve the best treatment that's available.