• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Panic attack symptoms

L

lyesander

I'm only 3 weeks free of panic attacks! But I get extremely hyper-focused and full of intensity, unable to calm my heightened heart rate and shallow breathing, worrying about every which mistake I've made and what is impossible for me that I want dearly. I lose touch with reality so in order for them to go away, I need to sleep with the lights on.
Congrats on the three weeks! That's no small achievement, dude. You should be proud of yourself.

E

Elisante

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I get two types. One of them has mostly physical symptoms. I feel my heart beating faster, I get a sensation of sudden coldness in my chest and I breath very fast and very loudly. I don't really feel bad in those panic attacks though. The other type has mostly emotional symptoms, I have a weird sensation on my brain that prepares me for the panic attack and then I get a feeling that I can't explain, it feels like I'm losing my sanity, and it's so bad that I think it will never end. I also feel the urge to do something seriously harmful to myself
I don't even know if the second type counts as a panic attack though.

T

Thenewyear

So last night i had my worst panic episode in about 4 months, and i was wondering what everyones symptoms are like. I get the standard symptoms like excellerated heart rate and difficulty breathing and my throat feels like its closing as well as getting really weak and dizzy and i almost lose control of myself physically. But more recently if my panic attacks get really bad my body temperature gets really cold and my limbs start to convulse, i read somewhere that some people get this and its quite normal to experience this with panic and agoraphobia, also after severe panic attacks i get very tired, depresses and like a feeling of being out of it for a few days, but i was just wondering how many of you go experience something similar to this
I have been suffering from the exact same thing for the past few months. I feel like I’m having a heart attack. I get sweaty or clammy feeling. I get major head fog and feel completely out of control. I feel this wave or rush of panic come over me and I become very overly aware of my heart rate and I even have started habitually checking my own pulse over and over. I went to the er thinking I was having a heart attack but everything was normal. It’s very very scary. I’m becoming so anxious and the fear of leaving my house and doing normal things like go to work or even treat myself like get a hair cut scares me. I’m afraid of having an attack in public. I’m at work right now and already have had an attack. Luckily I am seeing a psychiatrist soon. Hang in there, you’re not alone.

T

Tony Tokyo

I have been suffering from the exact same thing for the past few months. I feel like I’m having a heart attack. I get sweaty or clammy feeling. I get major head fog and feel completely out of control. I feel this wave or rush of panic come over me and I become very overly aware of my heart rate and I even have started habitually checking my own pulse over and over. I went to the er thinking I was having a heart attack but everything was normal. It’s very very scary. I’m becoming so anxious and the fear of leaving my house and doing normal things like go to work or even treat myself like get a hair cut scares me. I’m afraid of having an attack in public. I’m at work right now and already have had an attack. Luckily I am seeing a psychiatrist soon. Hang in there, you’re not alone.
Same here. It literally feels like a heart attack. Have been to ER multiple times. All ECG's, Echo test and Exercise Stress Test came normal. A day ago I even went for a cardiac CT Scan Angiography. It was perfectly fine. My panic attacks happen almost daily and stay for 3 hours at least. Once they are gone, I need another 2 to 3 hours to get out of the hangover. It's hell.

T

Thenewyear

Same here. It literally feels like a heart attack. Have been to ER multiple times. All ECG's, Echo test and Exercise Stress Test came normal. A day ago I even went for a cardiac CT Scan Angiography. It was perfectly fine. My panic attacks happen almost daily and stay for 3 hours at least. Once they are gone, I need another 2 to 3 hours to get out of the hangover. It's hell.
ugh. That feeling is the worst. All the tests and no abnormalities...and yes, after the episodes you’re absolutely wrecked. I feel that for sure. It almost comes down to having health anxiety, thinking any and everything is wrong with you, googling it, and it only being a manifestation of anxiety. I have been on Zoloft since making that post - it has helped tremendously. Almost 90% improvement honestly. I suffer from ptsd, panic disorder, generalized anxiety, and major depressive. I hate taking meds but I am so thankful that this has helped me. I hope you’re able to find some relief soon.

T

Tony Tokyo

ugh. That feeling is the worst. All the tests and no abnormalities...and yes, after the episodes you’re absolutely wrecked. I feel that for sure. It almost comes down to having health anxiety, thinking any and everything is wrong with you, googling it, and it only being a manifestation of anxiety. I have been on Zoloft since making that post - it has helped tremendously. Almost 90% improvement honestly. I suffer from ptsd, panic disorder, generalized anxiety, and major depressive. I hate taking meds but I am so thankful that this has helped me. I hope you’re able to find some relief soon.
I have anxiety and social anxiety for past 10 years. Also, mild to severe depression in between. Never paid any heed till now. But now seriously considering to visit some psychiatrist. Yes, I kept googling heart and cardiac-related symptoms for many days. Even after I got a CT scan angiography, I kept checking it's reliability etc. I also did a D Dimer test to see if I have some clots that are hi during the breathing, the test was negative too.

T

Thenewyear

I would absolutely recommend seeking out a psychiatrist. It’s truly been night and day for me. You may have to try a few different things to see what works, but once you do, you’re going to feel like there’s a light at the end of the tunnel again. Best wishes to you!!