• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Panic attack symptoms

S

SleepeeSam

So last night i had my worst panic episode in about 4 months, and i was wondering what everyones symptoms are like. I get the standard symptoms like excellerated heart rate and difficulty breathing and my throat feels like its closing as well as getting really weak and dizzy and i almost lose control of myself physically. But more recently if my panic attacks get really bad my body temperature gets really cold and my limbs start to convulse, i read somewhere that some people get this and its quite normal to experience this with panic and agoraphobia, also after severe panic attacks i get very tired, depresses and like a feeling of being out of it for a few days, but i was just wondering how many of you go experience something similar to this

K

karl7

I used to get panic attacks at school. it wwas awful.....I used toget them when I was told to read from my text book.....my heart would be beating so so fast and sweat would be dripping down from my neck......my voice would be trembling as I read.....it was so humiliating.

Mario82

Mario82

Hi, I haven't had panic attacks for ages, but I remember shivering, fast beating heart, feeling cold, shaking, and - worst of all - sensations in my throat like I was choking and constant clearing of my throat (didn't help that I had a fear of choking anyway).

Hope you feel better soon.

R

Rainwriter

So last night i had my worst panic episode in about 4 months, and i was wondering what everyones symptoms are like. I get the standard symptoms like excellerated heart rate and difficulty breathing and my throat feels like its closing as well as getting really weak and dizzy and i almost lose control of myself physically. But more recently if my panic attacks get really bad my body temperature gets really cold and my limbs start to convulse, i read somewhere that some people get this and its quite normal to experience this with panic and agoraphobia, also after severe panic attacks i get very tired, depresses and like a feeling of being out of it for a few days, but i was just wondering how many of you go experience something similar to this
That sounds really tough! Hope you are doing better now?
Yeah I'd only had two panic attacks before last week but had about 4 these last few days. I get the fast heartbeat, struggling to breathe, dizziness, i get really shaky and cant hold myself up. I feel really drained afterwards- I think that's quite natural for the body (?) because you've had a rush of adrenaline and it needs time to recover - the episodes you've been having sound intense and physically draining.

L

Lavender_Rose

I get most of those symptoms too. When. It's getting really bad I start hyperventilating. I had one today where it was really hard to keep control. I was in a more public situation. I never heard of the body temperature thing. It make so much sense though because I do that. I often shake I guess convulsions? It probably been almost 12 hours since the panic attack happened but I cant get rid of my shakes. Afterwards I always feel kinda numb. I usually just end up sleeping a lot and I'm super depressed. Sometimes it last a day sometimes more or less. Depends on how bad the panic attack was.

M

mrl57

I can completely relate to what you shared. I am hoping to share more about what I am experiencing to see if others can relate too. For example, today my panic came in a wave. I was preparing lunch and had just gotten some distressing news that put me a bit on edge. I was feeling fine and out of the blue I got a feeling like I was going to pass out, it hit me like a wave. I felt dizzy and my face went pale, it lasted only an instant and I did have anxiety medication that helped. Sometimes its a palpitation that causes me to go into a panic or I stub my toe on something, I seem to be sensitized to everything lately. I also have episodes at night sometimes where I am just about to fall asleep and jolt out of bed because I feel like I am about to die, its a terrible sensation and happens usually a few times before my body finally gets passed this sensation and I fall asleep. I find that if I get up and pace around the house or watch TV for a time until I am exhausted I can fall asleep without these sensations. This doesn't happen every night, but once a week I'll have a bad night. Does anyone else have similar symptoms when they have a panic attack?

M

mrl57

That sounds really tough! Hope you are doing better now?
Yeah I'd only had two panic attacks before last week but had about 4 these last few days. I get the fast heartbeat, struggling to breathe, dizziness, i get really shaky and cant hold myself up. I feel really drained afterwards- I think that's quite natural for the body (?) because you've had a rush of adrenaline and it needs time to recover - the episodes you've been having sound intense and physically draining.
I experience many of these symptoms, sometimes it begins with a palpitation that scares me and it spirals from there, other times I stub my toe on something and that's all it takes. I find that also when I have an episode my vision makes it worse so I have to throw off my glasses. This usually lasts only a minute, but it takes so much out of you like you say. Does this sound familiar to you too?

L

Lavender_Rose

I can completely relate to what you shared. I am hoping to share more about what I am experiencing to see if others can relate too. For example, today my panic came in a wave. I was preparing lunch and had just gotten some distressing news that put me a bit on edge. I was feeling fine and out of the blue I got a feeling like I was going to pass out, it hit me like a wave. I felt dizzy and my face went pale, it lasted only an instant and I did have anxiety medication that helped. Sometimes its a palpitation that causes me to go into a panic or I stub my toe on something, I seem to be sensitized to everything lately. I also have episodes at night sometimes where I am just about to fall asleep and jolt out of bed because I feel like I am about to die, its a terrible sensation and happens usually a few times before my body finally gets passed this sensation and I fall asleep. I find that if I get up and pace around the house or watch TV for a time until I am exhausted I can fall asleep without these sensations. This doesn't happen every night, but once a week I'll have a bad night. Does anyone else have similar symptoms when they have a panic attack?
I sometimes get more sensitive to smells but this one doesnt happened very often. But I feel the palpitations all the time. It starts making me paranoid I'm gonna have a heart attack because I just feel like my heart is out of control. I sometimes feel physical pain in my chest and arms. I often taken melatonin when I'm feeling this way at night. But I usually end up awake on my phone wat hing videos because I find that to be a good distraction from my own thoughts.

B

Benappetit

I have been waking up about an hour after going to sleep with a spike in my heart rate, tightness of the chest and short of breath, I put it down to anxiety and try to calm myself down, most the time I start worrying that it’s my heart and I’m about to have a heart attack. I then worry more, start sweating and get dizzy until I can try calm myself down. They are happening more regularly and today I’ve literally felt that way for about 4 hours up and down. It’s really scary and my mind races with kinds of thoughts mainly a heart attack. I just want it to stop.

M

mrl57

I have been waking up about an hour after going to sleep with a spike in my heart rate, tightness of the chest and short of breath, I put it down to anxiety and try to calm myself down, most the time I start worrying that it’s my heart and I’m about to have a heart attack. I then worry more, start sweating and get dizzy until I can try calm myself down. They are happening more regularly and today I’ve literally felt that way for about 4 hours up and down. It’s really scary and my mind races with kinds of thoughts mainly a heart attack. I just want it to stop.
I completely understand what you are going through. I think for me it's the adrenaline makes my heart flutter or something and I wake up just right when I am going to fall asleep. Sometimes, I wake up and yell to my partner because I get that feeling like I'm going to pass out and I feel like I am dying. I usually jolt out of bed and shake it off by pacing around the house or just sitting up with the TV until I am exhausted I just sleep like normal. It only happens about once a week like this, but the sensation when I jolt awake is so scary and I hate it. I've had these off and on, but nothing like more recently with current events. For me my panic attacks started when I was on a crash diet for a trip abroad and I overexerted myself and almost passed out in a restaurant, I felt faint and my face went pale, I never passed out but I was sure I was going to. They say one traumatic event like that can create sensitization to everything. If I get up to quickly and feel faint I panic, if I stub my toe or feel the least off I get into panic mode. My mom and sister both have these as well, so it's helped to talk to them. I find myself placing my hand over my heart, thinking there's something wrong. The good think is the episodes pass, but in the moment they are so debilitating. I hope you know you are definitely not alone and we are all facing this together, there's good days and bad days.

R

Reecandoit

All of this plus I get pain in my left arm :low:

R

RedYeti

It’s taken me a few years to understand my panic attacks, I never really knew what was happening to me until recently.

I get a really raised heart rate, dizziness, my body temp goes a bit mad - I sweat loads, I’m really cold to touch then feel really hot, shivering and stuff as well as stomach pains. The worst is the stomach pains because I’ve had medical problems in the past which makes me paranoid.
I find box breathing is really good for reducing the intensity of the physiological symptoms.

S

sparrowling

I'm only 3 weeks free of panic attacks! But I get extremely hyper-focused and full of intensity, unable to calm my heightened heart rate and shallow breathing, worrying about every which mistake I've made and what is impossible for me that I want dearly. I lose touch with reality so in order for them to go away, I need to sleep with the lights on.

lyesander

lyesander

Breathing usually stays normal for me, but my heart rate will increase and I'll feel a very detached sense of impending doom. Almost branches into unreality territory. I'll get dizzy and the walls will start "melting." Classic knot in stomach feeling too. It took me a while to identify them as panic attacks, since I'm usually still able to function while I'm having them. Body just goes on autopilot while my brain is off floating somewhere in space. Super weird.