• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Panic and Anxiety, please help

T

tiniharis

I don't usually do this....at all. So please if you have a moment listen to my story and if you have any advice I would love to hear it. Ever since i was little i have had this very big fear of death. it scares me to talk about and i am getting nervous just typing about it. i would get anxiety attacks when i was little and i would run down the stairs and walk back up the stairs to let off the adrenaline and then i would go back to bed. but now i am in college, and my attacks are becoming more persistent, in public, and more violent.

i have panic attacks about my fear about four or five times a week. if it is very bad i get them about every day. this usually happens when my mind wanders and i get my sense of built up energy. however i am not inclined to run up and down my stairs, rather my senses tell me to self harm. I am harming myself by attacking myself, once with a cell phone, this is scaring me, i have no control over it, it releases my energy it just happens.

what should i do? can anyone give me advice? thank you i would very much appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayfair

Mayfair

Hi tin :welcome:

The fear of death thing springs to mind. Why? Are you religious?

I notice the cell phone comment, are you in USA? It's a bit quiet at this time of night (UK time), though we have lots of time zones peoples.

Have a nosy around the forum.

m:)

amathus

amathus

Hi and :welcome: to the MHF..

-
Have you considered trying to work the 'adrenaline' off in a more positive way than hurting yourself, by taking up exercise? do you do any form of exercise at all ?

Alternatively, when these 'panic attacks', occur it may be an idea to learn some basic relaxation techniques which you could employ wherever you are at the time.
It seems to me that you would benefit from a 'calming down', experience rather increasing the self harm towards yourself.

Breathing relaxation:

Close your eyes and focus on your breathing..
Take in one deep breath and draw it right down into your abdomen..

Feel the tension escape as you breathe out..

Keep your shoulders down..

You can do this exercise more or less anytime.., it may take some weeks of pracrice.

Hope that helps, try it and let us know how you get on :)

amathus.

Last edited by a moderator:
calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and Welcome to the forum.

I am afraid that I have had to remove all the specifics of self harm as these are not allowed on the forum. I think it still makes sense though.

I think all the above is valid as advice, but also think that it is getting serious, so you need to talk to your doctor. Don't be embarrassed as this is not something he has not heard before. You may need to be referred onto the mental health team. Counselling and/or therapy is available on the NHS if you ask for it. There is a waiting list so you may have to put your name down now.

As you are at College, have you thought about seeing the college counsellor who may have access to other forms of therapy. Now there is a third option, but you may need help financially for it. That is to get private therapy. Most people think that is very expensive, but it doesn't need to be. £35-£40 an h our is around if you look. Sounds a lot, but some people pay that on a night out. But also look around, there are counselling services from students, who are closely monitored, and the cost may be free or very small.

I think you may need to have short term meds to help get the panics under control, just to help you have a breathing space and be able to evaluate your options. Most docs don't give such meds for long.

Take care xxx

T

tiniharis

Thanks everyone for reading this, and thank you for those who have commented. To answer questions no I am not religious and I have talked to my college counselor but I didn't necessarily address the severity of the problem. In the US mental illness is extremely taboo especially in my form of study and I am often embarrassed that i have these issues and I havent told anyone in person besides my very close friend. Also I don't think its an issue i need to be admitted for, i just want to beat this on my own. i'm obviously loosing right now considering how frequent and violent they are, but i refuse to take any prescriptions because i believe in self medication and healing...but i am still at a crossroads of where to start.

R

Rose19602

Hey,
Fear of death is quite a good plan to my mind! Who wouldn't be? But if it's constantly on your mind and you're having panic attacks and s/harming...that's clearly a bigger problem.

Mental health is something we should all discuss...unfortunately, many people don't and feel ashamed of their problems. Try to remember that it's very common and you are not alone.

Phobias are also highly treatable! You do not need to be admitted and taking meds isn't necessary either.
Talking is probably the best treatment for a phobia, to uncover why it's there and why it's built up in your mind to such huge proportions.

Exposure therapy is often used for phobias...but with a fear of death, that could be tricky! My phobia is hospitals and invasive procedures and that's pretty difficult to expose someone to as well!

However, I've found that talking through how I developed it, recognising how I behave and deal with it and learning relaxation / breathing techniques can all help. I've never self harmed, and cannot advise on that bit very well....but it is a coping mechanism for distress, and maybe that's how you currently cope with your fears?

Don't worry too much about being admitted or being given medication....that's unlikely....but you could ask for some therapy and build up a relationship with your therapist that allows you to gradually talk about your problems and find ways to fix them together.

It really is a much less aggressive approach than you imagine.
Calm your fears and ask for some therapy. This has gone on long enough!
x
....and Welcome btw. Hope to hear a lot more from you!