Overthinking

Azelka

Azelka

Can overthinking worsen symptoms? And is overthinking a part of schyzotipal personality disorder?

3henry

In my experience overthinking is not good for your mental health. It might be and it might not be. Depends what other symptoms do you have?

megirl

megirl

Over thinking can be detrimental to mental health.
I have BPD and bipolar.
They often refer to overthinking as ruminating, where I will start thinking about something over and over my thoughts keep going over the same thing,without achieving anything.
Often even a nasty comment which the more and more I think about it ends up being a lot worse than it actually is.
Distraction can be good, so I focus on something positive

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
What do we define as 'over thinking'?

megirl

megirl

I am just assuming over thinking is similar to ruminating.
However it may depend on the context in which you overthink

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
I am just assuming over thinking is similar to ruminating.
However it may depend on the context in which you overthink
Yes, I'm not sure of the context of the phrase.

People say I'm an over-thinker (IRL) however, I would consider myself a deep-thinker... who occasionally speaks outloud, and gets called an over-thinker for it. I think these are two different things, or perhaps more. It's too black and white for me.

megirl

megirl

Yes I agree,
I think the difference is whether these ways of thinking are useful, or whether they cause you some distress and you get stuck, and can't move forward

H

Heljun

IMHO, overthinking may be a symptom per se, though just overthinking does not make you mentally ill per se. I mean overthinking as in obsessing on matters you can't change. I've found a regular meditation practice and mindfulness to be extremely helpful to manage this tendency. Exercise too, I suppose, though I've been a little lazy lately.

Azelka

Azelka

When I say I overthink, I mean that I ruminate on things so much that it becomes an obsession

H

Heljun

Yeah, that's what i figured. I would definitely recommend mindfulness exercises, you can find some on several apps like Calm, Insight Timer and others, it has helped me tremendously with that. Good luck!