Overthinking advice please?...

S

Sugars

Hi All, so i'm new to MHF, I have been dealing with a variety of issues for years but that's for another time, instead I'm actually looking for advice for somebody else, She has been struggling more and more with anxiety the last couple of years and is bought on mainly by overthinking things, if she politely pointed out a mistake with a meal at a restaurant she would be up all night crying thinking that maybe the chefs boss fired him for the mistake and he was so sad he killed himself, a simple little thing but is overthought and over exaggerated so much and won't let it go, when it gets like this, she will take some prescribed tablets and it starts to take affect, this is OK but not a ideal solution on a when by the time it starts to effect her she has already had a horrible couple of hours.
I'm interested in what people can suggest as I suffer from this as well but nowhere near as bad as this. thanks in advance.

S

schizolanza

That's a tough one. When this happens to me I start to panic . my only strategy is to tell myself that it will pass and remind myself that it always has passed before. Wish I could help more.

S

Sugars

Everything helps, thank you, I've been waiting months to get onto the mental health team and I often hear more sense from people who live with it. thanks again

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hey sugars the thing about over thinking is that it keeps us trapped in our head and we become detacched from the rest of ourselves ie the new label disassociation. we are more than our tweeny minds! our bodies groan when we igore them and in the case of your friend the emotions become louder which is never a good thing.

'remedy' ..start to slow it down, the thinking, is a challenge as its a learn' t behaviour. for me i started to listen to what i call prescriptive music - for persistent depression and anxiety.

meds will not cure this it just dampens it down.

if you are interested i can post the link. remember as with any habit it takes a while to change.

N

natalie

I f I have anxiety, then, what I usually do, and if able if I was in a potential for then building up in a romantic involvement with someone, i would always listen to music, first and foremost, through headphones, to keep me calmer, which is the first thing.

In my case, the communtiy mental health team were excellent, and they saw t o me quick, as a emergancy case, when I was down with psycosis. Just wouldn't like to look back to those years again.

Try to offer her to listen t o music at night, at bedtime, might just help her to settle, something soothing something for which like easy lisltening, music genre ought to do the trick, and I feel that she might benefit from travel sickness mot ion bands, which i discovered help me out brilliantly, for anxiety, for just that.

I hope you're girlfriend, will recover eventually sooner.

N

natalie

Hi Sugars,

I'm just touiching base, checking how you are doing, how is your girlfriend at the moment?

Try to be well,

Natalie.