• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Overeater

Z

Zoe1

But before Covid I was seeing a psychologist for therapy and she had to stop our sessions due to covid they stopped doing face to face,so my GP said to get in touch with this psychologist and see if she can help by giving me therapy sessions for depression

they should not have stopped the therapy
because of Covid
they should have offered phone or Skype

I would make a complaint about that

if you can get a good therapist
you will have more willpower

:hug5: 🎶 🐢

B

blue spark

Dieting is impossible for binge eaters. They need to address the cause of the binging. Restricting food will only promote a binge.
The cause of binging isn't a medical issue,it's psychological.Depression,boredome or both.Losing waight is hard,it takes a lot of willpower.Ive give up bread,spuds,rice,pasta,last night i could have murdered some toast with real butter.I love toast with propper salted butter on it,i used all my willpower and didn't have any.It's not long sinse we lost our luvely mum,she was a big lady.She liked her cake and choc bars,she ended up bed ridden and couldn't even turn over vin her bed.I dont want to end up with carers wiping and washing my arse for me,i'm doing something about my obesety.Losing waight can be hard sometimes,it really does depend on how badly you want it.
It's easier if you can keep yourself buissy,i'm learning to play the guitar and also learning airbrush art.I'm gonna buy the new microsoft flight sim for my gaming PC,anything to keep buissy.

bpd2020

bpd2020

The cause of binging isn't a medical issue,it's psychological.Depression,boredome or both.Losing waight is hard,it takes a lot of willpower.Ive give up bread,spuds,rice,pasta,last night i could have murdered some toast with real butter.I love toast with propper salted butter on it,i used all my willpower and didn't have any.It's not long sinse we lost our luvely mum,she was a big lady.She liked her cake and choc bars,she ended up bed ridden and couldn't even turn over vin her bed.I dont want to end up with carers wiping and washing my arse for me,i'm doing something about my obesety.Losing waight can be hard sometimes,it really does depend on how badly you want it.
It's easier if you can keep yourself buissy,i'm learning to play the guitar and also learning airbrush art.I'm gonna buy the new microsoft flight sim for my gaming PC,anything to keep buissy.
Yes you are right. It is a psychological issue that needs therapy to treat it. We cannot just restrict food. We need help to uncover why we have the eating disorder. You have done so well to give up foods that you find triggering. I am so sorry to hear about your mum. It is great you have some things to keep you occupied.

Z

Zoe1

currently I seem to be helping myself to fruit pastelles

thinking only a few sweets

its like I'm the opposite of anorexia
when I help myself to stuff
and thinking well I'm not that overweight

when I am really quite overweight at the moment

Lizaje

Lizaje

Dieting is impossible for binge eaters. They need to address the cause of the binging. Restricting food will only promote a binge.
It's not impossible, it's just difficult. For sure they need to address other issues. I just mean that the doctor can't wait for them to be "solved" until he advises the patient to lose weight if the patient is obese.

bpd2020

bpd2020

It's not impossible, it's just difficult. For sure they need to address other issues. I just mean that the doctor can't wait for them to be "solved" until he advises the patient to lose weight if the patient is obese.
I do see your point but the only way to lose weight is to eat less and this is not possible when somebody has an untreated binge eating disorder. I know being overweight is dangerous but the disorder needs psychological treatment before the weight can be addressed.

B

blue spark

Cake,sweets,any goodies loaded with sugar will destroy any attempt at losing waight.Sugar is the killer of diets.

Lizaje

Lizaje

I do see your point but the only way to lose weight is to eat less and this is not possible when somebody has an untreated binge eating disorder. I know being overweight is dangerous but the disorder needs psychological treatment before the weight can be addressed.
Sure, a treatment plan that doesn't require one to go on deficit right away. But I still don't see how a doctor can not recommend losing weight if their patient is obese. The patient and maybe the doctor just need to know it might not start right away. And it is possible, it's just difficult.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Cake,sweets,any goodies loaded with sugar will destroy any attempt at losing waight.Sugar is the killer of diets.
Not true. Some people eat very unhealthy foods but little.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Sure, a treatment plan that doesn't require one to go on deficit right away. But I still don't see how a doctor can not recommend losing weight if their patient is obese. The patient and maybe the doctor just need to know it might not start right away. And it is possible, it's just difficult.
If a patient is obese due to binge eating disorder then that needs to be treated differently. With the disorder the focus should never be based on weight but about the disorder. Do you have binge eating disorder? I do and I have been in treatment for years. I do not understand why you keep disagreeing with my points when I have this disorder and I am in recovery so it is not like I am making things up. Maybe this link will help you to understand the focus should not be about weight.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Do you have binge eating disorder?
No. I'm a former bulimic.
I do not understand why you keep disagreeing with my points
I'm actually only disagreeing with two things (that the doctor may advise the patient to lose weight at any time and that it is possible to lose weight for someone with bing eating disorder before they have received special treatment for it) I keep saying, yes it needs to be addressed, yes it can be done later, yes it's difficult, but you don't seem to hear me.

bpd2020

bpd2020

No. I'm a former bulimic.

I'm actually only disagreeing with two things (that the doctor may advise the patient to lose weight at any time and that it is possible to lose weight for someone with bing eating disorder before they have received special treatment for it) I keep saying, yes it needs to be addressed, yes it can be done later, yes it's difficult, but you don't seem to hear me.
Bulima is a totally different condition. It is possible to lose weight but only after treatment. I apologise if I did not realise what you were saying. I just feel when seeing the GP and being told to diet it is damaging and does not address the issue. I am talking about my own experiences of seeing the GP before I was diagnosed.