• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Overeater

MarieRose

MarieRose

I have many mental illness diagnoses,also this March 2020 I was diagnosed as an overeater eating disorder.It is a big problem because I am obese and have diabetes.I struggle to not gain weight and keep trying to diet and I fail.I lose a bit then gain it back.It is hard and demoralising.I need help but my Gp hasn't helped so I am going to ask her to help me now as I have struggled with it for several years.Do any of you have experience of getting help on the NHS for eating disorders.

Z

Zoe1

hi MarieRose

im just soon to start the NHS weight management group
in September
I also saw their health coach at one time and that went well

do you eat healthy food at all ?

:hug5: ✨

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

*Pat on the back
I could go on about this subject but I'm exhausted. But weight kinda speaks for itself. In my country mhs there isnt much that I know of.

B

blue spark

I have many mental illness diagnoses,also this March 2020 I was diagnosed as an overeater eating disorder.It is a big problem because I am obese and have diabetes.I struggle to not gain weight and keep trying to diet and I fail.I lose a bit then gain it back.It is hard and demoralising.I need help but my Gp hasn't helped so I am going to ask her to help me now as I have struggled with it for several years.Do any of you have experience of getting help on the NHS for eating disorders.
Ditto,How bad is your diabetes.Ive started a new diet last month or so,the first week i lost 10 lbs and still losing 3 lb per week to date.I never feel hungry,sometimes i have to remind myself to eat.Try a high fat,medium protien,low carb diet.The Atkins or keto diet,and it will probably reverse your diabetes as well.Ask your doctor first,once your in ketosis your body starts to burn your fat as energy.It's working for me,it will work for you.

MarieRose

MarieRose

I tried Atkins back in 2013 I couldn't sustain it,I can get my sugars down with low carb but I can't keep on it for long enough and go back to eating the wrong foods and my sugars soar again.I have eating disorder where I can't control how much I eat or the quality of food.

B

blue spark

I tried Atkins back in 2013 I couldn't sustain it,I can get my sugars down with low carb but I can't keep on it for long enough and go back to eating the wrong foods and my sugars soar again.I have eating disorder where I can't control how much I eat or the quality of food.
It must be very difficult for you,i had some sort of eating disorder.When i woke up in the night i'd go downstairs and just eat,then i'd go back to sleep.Then when i woke again to go the loo,eat and go back to sleep.Talk about gaining waight,i gained 12 stone.Whats that,160 somthing lbs.Bad.

P

Purpleplum

Stop "dieting". Start eating healthy and consider it be for a lifetime rather than as a short term thing you do and then go back to eating the other way.
A Weight Watchers plan is also good because it teaches you how to eat.

Z

Zoe1

k I think NHS will be able to help you Marie
they will have experience of these things
maybe write GP a letter
explaining all your worries about the situation

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello MarieRose. Who diagnosed you? Dieting is not going to be helpful as you have an eating disorder and your eating patterns are disorderly. You need to be referred to an eating disorders clinic for assessment and treatment. I have binge eating disorder and found my GP utterly useless. I was sent to the eating disorder clinic by my psychiatrist. GPs suggest to diet and this is dangerous for us and not helpful.

MarieRose

MarieRose

My GP diagnosed me,he says underlying cause of my eating disorder is depression and he has to refer me to mental health and if they think it's necessary they will refer me to eating disorders clinic....he said they will want to give me anti depressant,so I refused refferal to mental health cos anti depressants never helped me in the past they made me worse so I swore I'd never take them again.But before Covid I was seeing a psychologist for therapy and she had to stop our sessions due to covid they stopped doing face to face,so my GP said to get in touch with this psychologist and see if she can help by giving me therapy sessions for depression.I won't be happy until I lose weight and get my blood sugars down to normal.

MarieRose

MarieRose

hi MarieRose

im just soon to start the NHS weight management group
in September
I also saw their health coach at one time and that went well

do you eat healthy food at all ?

:hug5: ✨
I do know how to eat healthy and which foods are healthy to eat.When I am depressed though I eat for comfort and reach for chocolate,ice creme,cake,chips,pizza,burgers.I know its wrong but I can't control the cravings and I give in to the urges.

G

goodgollymiss

I lost weight by snacking on tea with milk and no sugar. Overnight oats can be tasty and you can add peanut butter, chia, yogurt cocoa, fruit..... I also like to make homemade minestrone and curries. Some people swear by turkey burgers or black bean burgers. Another tasty thing is instant Miso soup. Sweet potato fries are better for diabetics than regular fries. I also like to eat tuna fish sandwiches and brown rice bowls. The restaurant freshi has brown rice bowls. They add tasty salad dressing to it and veggies like avocado, salsa, beans, tomatoes, corn, chicken...

bpd2020

bpd2020

I can understand you do not want to take medication and that is your right. You will still be allowed to have therapy. I am glad you are going to see the mental health team. Hopefully they will refer you to an eating disorder clinic. It will be the best place to help you. I hope you can begin your therapy sessions again.

Lizaje

Lizaje

GPs suggest to diet and this is dangerous for us and not helpful.
Well if the patient is obese the weight is dangerous too. I don't see how the doctor could possibly not recommend losing weight

bpd2020

bpd2020

Well if the patient is obese the weight is dangerous too. I don't see how the doctor could possibly not recommend losing weight
Dieting is impossible for binge eaters. They need to address the cause of the binging. Restricting food will only promote a binge.