• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Overcoming GAD & Social Anxiety

W

wheat

My story as far as I can remember I've always been an extremely shy gal growing up around people and my peers in school. I suppose people would categorize me as the " shy girl " so they wouldn't even bother getting to know me during my school years in person. Since I'm not outgoing like all they were and I suppose I was un cool and not worth their time. However I did my best during my school years trying to talk to a few people even if it was just small talk giving them a compliment and going on from there if they were interested in speaking with me. I did happen to make a couple friends during my school years, however they sadly never lasted long. Due to them hurting me in some way making my mental health worse with my extremely low self-esteem,l thus becoming depressied. Or also discovering who they truly are as a person ( true colors ordeal ) and treated others badly which I don't like as well started being different around me like a totally diffrent person than I first met them.

I had to make tough calls by leaving the friendship thus becoming sad with no friends or they leaving me saying I wasn't worth their time anymore. Since I tried to say to them your acting differently than you used to with me. By really trying to be respectful, polite and concerned what's with them. Thus we then argued and they left me annoyed with me I said such things like that to them also that I didn't respected them. So we parted ways and then I had no friends in person anymore after I graduated. As for being online during the same time since well all teens we're active online with meeting people just as in person. I sadly had the same experiences and also other bad even traumatic things happened to me as well as I did in person. Years passed becoming now older I'm still extremely shy, nervous around people and extremely cautious when talking to people online.

I discovered later in life as I graduated school I had social anxiety thus explaining why I had such a hard time with people in person and during my school years. Though before that at age thirteen I got diagnosed with GAD and starting taking medication for it to try and help me. To be real honest I struggle very much with my anxiety and social anxiety due to my traumatic and not great experiences with people online the most and a few in person. Thus also being diagnosed with C-PTSD and struggling with that still making my anxiety worse and becoming severe that I also now I have Argrophiba and Anthrophobia the fear of people. Though adding to my story and what is now happening in my life, I've been taking huge steps overcoming all my anxiety, social anxiety and phobias I have.

I have a truly wonderful and awesome therapist specializing in PTSD and C-PTSD which is also helping my anxiety and fear or leaving the house to be by people if going places, not being afraid of people in general. Lastly dealing with all that with talking to people online practicing my social skills and being on a forum. I've been doing tremendous well and starting next year going out more in public to be around others as well to help me face my fears. I am slowly overcoming it all and true since we are human after all will have some off not good days, though thats okay. However I'm really doing tremendous at this time I think being online so far at least being on here posing things when I feel like it. As well interacting with others at times too, my progress will have ups and downs but I am slowly overcoming them each day.

I know I'm succeeding and thriving with my progress right now and I'm extremely happy as well proud of myself of myself and my courage. A very inspirational quote I heard from a show I really love and follow is : "Fear is a reaction, courage is a choice." - Unknown
Well that's my story about my GAD and Social Anxiety, thank you for reading it if you did.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

everyone has different genetic disposition with their stimulation and energy levels. often people that consider themselves shy are just people whose stimulation level is calibrated lower. meaning they are more easily stimulated. there is advantages and disadvantages to each.

the shyness is basically just their genetics pushing through trying to lower their stimulation.

if your genetic stimulation calibration is lower then when you go out and around people you will be easily over-stimulated and therefore overwhelmed. which will put you at a disadvantage. this disadvantage can then get grabbed by the ego as evidence of inferiority. then the person may develop low self esteem and all the chain reaction problems that come along after that.

someone whose simulation level is calibrated lower will often have good energy levels when they are at home alone. they are not over stimulated. so they can get alot done. whereas someone else may be very bored at home and get very lazy. they need to be out and about and around more people and getting more stimulation.

so u can see advantage and disadvantages. when u go out u can go to quieter places. and you can avoid crowds and only deal with people through texting or a pre-planned one on one meeting. then u can keep your environment more in alignment with your own personal genetic stimulation level needs. when the external environment is more matched to your own genetics u will succeed more and then the ego will overcome the inferiority complex.

also the ego health can be dealt with directly as well. with self-esteem type teachings

W

wheat

Okay well thank you for sharing that more informational reply to my topic.

jajingna

jajingna

Glad to hear your progress. It's a hard thing to live with anxieties.

K

karl7

My story as far as I can remember I've always been an extremely shy gal growing up around people and my peers in school. I suppose people would categorize me as the " shy girl " so they wouldn't even bother getting to know me during my school years in person. Since I'm not outgoing like all they were and I suppose I was un cool and not worth their time. However I did my best during my school years trying to talk to a few people even if it was just small talk giving them a compliment and going on from there if they were interested in speaking with me. I did happen to make a couple friends during my school years, however they sadly never lasted long. Due to them hurting me in some way making my mental health worse with my extremely low self-esteem,l thus becoming depressied. Or also discovering who they truly are as a person ( true colors ordeal ) and treated others badly which I don't like as well started being different around me like a totally diffrent person than I first met them.

I had to make tough calls by leaving the friendship thus becoming sad with no friends or they leaving me saying I wasn't worth their time anymore. Since I tried to say to them your acting differently than you used to with me. By really trying to be respectful, polite and concerned what's with them. Thus we then argued and they left me annoyed with me I said such things like that to them also that I didn't respected them. So we parted ways and then I had no friends in person anymore after I graduated. As for being online during the same time since well all teens we're active online with meeting people just as in person. I sadly had the same experiences and also other bad even traumatic things happened to me as well as I did in person. Years passed becoming now older I'm still extremely shy, nervous around people and extremely cautious when talking to people online.

I discovered later in life as I graduated school I had social anxiety thus explaining why I had such a hard time with people in person and during my school years. Though before that at age thirteen I got diagnosed with GAD and starting taking medication for it to try and help me. To be real honest I struggle very much with my anxiety and social anxiety due to my traumatic and not great experiences with people online the most and a few in person. Thus also being diagnosed with C-PTSD and struggling with that still making my anxiety worse and becoming severe that I also now I have Argrophiba and Anthrophobia the fear of people. Though adding to my story and what is now happening in my life, I've been taking huge steps overcoming all my anxiety, social anxiety and phobias I have.

I have a truly wonderful and awesome therapist specializing in PTSD and C-PTSD which is also helping my anxiety and fear or leaving the house to be by people if going places, not being afraid of people in general. Lastly dealing with all that with talking to people online practicing my social skills and being on a forum. I've been doing tremendous well and starting next year going out more in public to be around others as well to help me face my fears. I am slowly overcoming it all and true since we are human after all will have some off not good days, though thats okay. However I'm really doing tremendous at this time I think being online so far at least being on here posing things when I feel like it. As well interacting with others at times too, my progress will have ups and downs but I am slowly overcoming them each day.

I know I'm succeeding and thriving with my progress right now and I'm extremely happy as well proud of myself of myself and my courage. A very inspirational quote I heard from a show I really love and follow is : "Fear is a reaction, courage is a choice." - Unknown
Well that's my story about my GAD and Social Anxiety, thank you for reading it if you did.
i have bad social anxiety myself and am friendless too....havent ad a friend in over a decade.....im glad youre making efforts in challenging this, youre encouraging me to do so aswell

have you ever thought of joining a mental health club (i post about this quite a bit on this site) these are places where mentally ill folk can go to participate in art creative writing, health management and group therapy to name but a few activities. there is no pressure. you can do what you want, you can even just have a coffee....in these places you will meet humble understanding people who have been through it......you should look in to it, having social anxiety would qualify you for membership but if not just say you have depression aswell.....ask your mental health team