• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Over thinking

T

tbrown22

I have constant thoughts in my head that my girlfriend is being unfaithful to me even though I know deep down she would never do that. I get over one thought and then another one immediately takes over, I can never seem to relax and I worry about everything. I seem to come up with complex, unrealistic situations in my head that I know are stupid but I can't stop thinking about them.

I need to be constantly reassured about things, someone can tell me something a million times and I still somehow doubt it, I know deep down its true but the doubts seem to take over everything.

It's physically and mentally exhausting and I just want it to stop.

In the Clouds

In the Clouds

I was exactly like this with my boyfriend. I knew he wouldn't cheat on me but I just kept seeing it in my mind. I can really empathise with the worrying, I'm constantly worried I've forgotten something really important, and silly things like what if this falls over and kills me? What if I fall downstairs and land on top of my pet? What if that car crashes? (And many bizarre scenarios - sorry if this isn't the kind of thing you meant!)The best way I found to deal with it is to talk about these imaginings or write them down and then I'd realise how silly or unrealistic they are. It still happens every day but I can now quickly dismiss the thought.

I think with the reassurance and both the constant thoughts of your girlfriend cheating on you is down to lack of self confidence. I wrote down things I liked about myself and focused on them. So when my boyfriend mentioned one of them, I could believe it. And slowly I started to believe other things he told me. And then I stopped thinking he would be unfaithful to me and believe that he loved me. I still have a thought now and again, but again I can dismiss it quickly.

It will stop, and it takes determination, but it can be done. One step at a time. :hug1: