• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Over spending

U

utter madness

How do u stop spending I'm on a height right know what I buy is never enough thinking about next purchase it's a nitemare feels nice when u have bought something nice tho but my minds racing with it so it's becoming a problem now

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I get that. It feels far too nice. It sounds a bit pathetic but I've had to make arrangements with family members so that I have limited access to my money. It's the only way I've been able to stop the over-spending during an episode and it prevents the awful wreckage that's the aftermath.

I hope you are okay. Maybe best to contact your GP/psychiatrist if you are feeling too high and the racing thoughts continue.

U

utter madness

My family won't do that with my money they say it's my responsibility which is fair enough but it's not helpful I go bk to c my gp after the new yr and just waiting on an appt for my pdoc to come through hope it won't be to long now I thought the meds I'm on was controlling the racing thoughts but obviously not enough

D

diabolicalme

Arrrrgh!!! It's impulsive addictive behaviour that means you are temporarily in escapist-land and don't have to think/feel what's really going on for you whilst you're indulging..like alcohol, drugs, gambling, food, sex addictions etc etc. All ways of avoiding reality, pain, nasty or overwhelming feelings, but none of the behaviours work forever, need frequent repetition to get that 'high'. (Mine is food/eating disorders) It doesn't help that we are constantly bombarded with advertising telling us how much we NEED stuff (incl food) to make us feel happy with life! I spent yesterday afternoon at the supermarket even tho I knew I didn't need a single thing there...and felt the drive to repeat it again today, but thankfully managed a walk on the snowy moors instead, and my soul and purse feel a lot better for it. It's hard to tackle these addictive behaviours which lead to short-lived pleasures but maybe some attempts at avoiding places/situations which trigger your behaviour in the first place might be a start? Like - instead of going near tempting shops, what else could you be doing which might make you feel good about yourself..other hobbies, activities, being with friends (but not going shopping!). Not easy! Just a start by trying to remove some of the temptation?

U

utter madness

I don't think it's an addictive behaviour simply cause I feel manic at the moment it will pass as it has yeah I've got a lot going in my head but it's not cause I feel pain this whole personality disorder diagnosis is alas of rubbish but I'm not begging ne pdoc ne more to listen to my real symptoms don't do risky behaviours ne more haven't for yrs was told I had bipolor I still believe that always will

D

diabolicalme

Oh ok, oops sorry I shouldn't have stated it like fact. I do remember an old friend with bipolar in her manic phases doing some really OTT stuff but only during those phases.

U

utter madness

Don't get me wrong I've done some daft things when I've been on a high that's why I've got this diagnosis my mind is racing the pdoc don't really care sea a waste of time going I'm fighting to stay on control now