• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Out of the hospital (again), everything is already a mess

N

Notalwaysever

I had my third hospitalization end last week. Suppose it is time to accept I am pretty much the DSM definition of bipolar 1. Went off my meds again, they were just so expensive I felt there were more important things I needed to spend my money on. While I was in they told my I was on way to much stuff, 7 different meds multiple times a day, so now I am supposed to only take Seroquel and adderall. I have about a month of titrating off the old stuff ahead of me though.

I don’t know what I am going to do about my living situation. I have an apartment with a roommate who has been my best friend the past 10 years but holy crap is this a toxic situation. While I love my friend he is a full blown alcoholic who keeps buying my booze even when I told him I don’t feel safe drinking on the Seroquel, afraid I will pass out standing up. When I went to the hospital I was super agitated and getting violent toward my roommate, neighbor, and told off my landlord. My roommate won’t stop making jokes about how he afraid I will beat him up because when I was mad I grabbed him by the shirt and he fell to the ground bruising himself up. He keeps retelling the story making it that I attacked him more and more violently. It is really upsetting me but he is too drunk to realize. My neighbor owes me over $200 for back due power I paid for him then he won’t pay. My mom said no when I asked if I could stay with her.

Because of the holidays I wasn’t able to get all my meds when I got out of the hospital. I am falling into a manic episode, it is almost 3am here. This is just a disaster.

I went immediately back to work when I got out because I have no money. I feel like I cannot handle it anymore though. Before I went in I was told to consider at least partial disability but I cannot see a way to get it without becoming homeless, again.

M

Megan333

Very toxic.
You seem to be in a catch 22 situation, when it comes to your home life. But it's clear, you and your roommate cannot continue to live together.
Hes also your best friend, so does he realise this too or is he too far gone to see a problem?
Think seeking a new roommate is the best thing for you and your health. Your best friend could be hurt and offended by this but you cant keep risking your health.

As far as your meds go, isnt there an out of hours place that can prescribe emergency medication?

Also couldn't you go on full disability? You seem to need support and help, that is what the resources are there for.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I take it you are from the USA having to pay for your meds and so forth. I am from Britain and (so far) we don't have to pay for our meds. I think as Megan says, that relationship is highly toxic and you need to get out from there. Is there any way you can change room mates easily? As for disability, I don't know the structure out there. I assume that the hospital could help you with this couldn't they?

I was on Seroquel and alcohol with it is a no-no really. It sedates strongly and so can cause you to fall over if with the alcohol.

What is your work? Is there any way you can find work that is less stressful for you so you can still earn money but not put your MH at risk?

I wish you well for the New Year.

N

Notalwaysever

Yeah I am in the US, with the most backwards health system in the developed world. Luckily I have decent insurance through my employer so things are not as expensive as they could be. Getting disability here is very difficult, I was told last time I tried to get it that I had at be out of work for a full year before applying. Since I require things like a home and food making no money for a year isn’t exactly an option. Still don’t know what I am going to do about that.

I have talked to my roommate a few times and he is being a little better. I kind of just have to work with what I have. Even though we both work full time the most we can afford is a one bedroom apartment and I don’t think I will find many other roommates that will stay on the couch.

I have all my meds now, had to just go to a different pharmacy after having one on order for 4 days. It is helping and I don’t feel as out of control. Because I am titrating off of Effexor I feel pretty lousy though.

Going to give things another week before I do anything drastic. I see the doctor again the 13th so if I can get my sleep in order I should be able to give her a decent report on how the new meds are working.

M

Megan333

Glad you atleast sorted your meds out, and hope the detoxing off of Effexor gets easier.
Trying to find a good balance with taking the right medication can take a while, to feel as "normal" as possible.

Your system does sound pretty messed up. How can anyone not work for a year to be able to apply for disability? Is that even possible? How would you live?

I didnt realise you have only a 1 bedroom apartment. This is a dilemma and not something you can easily change, but glad hes calmed down a little.

Stay clear of the alcohol, and hopefully by the time you see your doctor, you are functioning better.
Goodluck

N

Notalwaysever

I know it takes a long time to sort meds out but I was first hospitalized 19 years ago and went straight into a manic episode when given only antidepressants. It has been around 11 years that doctors have been going with the bipolar diagnosis although my last two doctors thought I was schizoaffective. I feel like I have put in a lot of time lol.

I cannot figure out why my roommate is so upset I am not drinking. He messaged me at work today, after calling out himself for being too hungover, saying he really needs a night out with me (drinking). I just don’t get it, and I am not dealing as well as I usually can.