• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Out of body experience, thought I was dying - But why ?

S

skyblue

Lately, I have been suffering from on and off deep depression. Last night I was having what I can only describe as an out of body experience. My soul was outside of my entire body and I thought I was dying. Thank goodness it's now passed.

I know it's not so important now because it has passed, only I'm frightened of this happening again. The last time I experienced this was when I was hospital.

Why did this happen, what was going on ? Was this a form of Psychosis, or was it just simply intense panic ? I want to try and avoid this from happening again, it just happened out of the blue and I don't know where it came from.

emski

emski

Hi skyblue - sorry I have not been around much.

I am pretty sure what you have described is a form of sleep paralysis - hypnogogic phenomenon. I suffer from this myself and have had similar out of body experiences. I have had bouts of these since I was 7 and they occur mostly when I am stressed, anxious, or sleep deprived. My psychiatrist has assured me that that is what they are and they are not symptoms of psychosis, even though the hallucinations seem like true ones.

Have you had any more since? :hug:

R

rowland

Just from bits I've read it sounds like a disassociative state. Disassociation is quite common with depression - Personally I experience no recollection of having gone somewhere/done something/even driving somewhere. Having sought an explanation for my own experiences I read a bit on disassociation and what you have described is also a symptom. I have experienced sleep paralysis in the past and to me it was quite different, like being awake but unable to move.

ally41

ally41

Yes, sounds like it's dissociation, I have it fairly regularly and I've never been 'psychotic' Its the mind's response to trauma and I get it when I'm very depressed or in an anxious or stressed state for a long time. It's a way of shutting off to protect you from making contact with something that your mind perceives is a threat to you and it may or may not be happening at that moment, could just be projection. It signals that there is something very wrong and that you need some in depth therapy, preferably some form that works with the subconscious, like art therapy to find out what's triggering it. It might sound weird, but when I know I cant make it go away, I try to enjoy it. It's like I can get into it on the level of being a bit off my head and as I dont take drugs or drink, I just go with it. Then I take it to therapy with me and try to find out what's wrong, then it usually goes away. Fret not x

S

skyblue

It must have been 'Dissociation'. A week or so before this happened, I was experiencing mild psychotic symptoms (hearing voices), but all that had disappeared.
I can't tell you how frightening 'Dissociation' is, such a scary thing to go through, I was fully awake, I wasn't in bed sleeping or part sleeping, infact I was smoking a ciggie.
So bizarre and the scariest thing, more frightening than 'hearing voices' in my experience. I really wouldn't want that to happen again,... gives me the shivers. I honestly thought my time was up, what was more strange, was that I was so calm, calmer than ever before, like my whole soul was floating outside of my entire body, quite similar to Sleep Paralysis I guess, only fully awake.

Thanks for your messages everyone.

Excuse me if i'm not making much sense lately,.. just not quite feeling myself, still unwell :( x

A

Apotheosis

SkyBlue - IMO - I personally wouldn't write this all off as 'Illness'. Fair enough if you want to see it all that way; but there are other perspectives & understandings that can be given to such experiences.

Maybe, some time, have a look at some of other peoples experiences of 'out of body' & transcendent experience.

I am reminded of certain descriptions of spiritual experiences, especially concerning ego loss & 'seeing' altered or more full views of reality. Your description isn't dissimilar to some descriptions given by Zen practitioners.

Just an alternative angle to consider.

ally41

ally41

Skyblue: I know what you mean about the calmness, I think it's what I meant when I said I can kind of get into it and enjoy it as it tends to happen when I'm feeling stressed or really depressed so it takes me out of that for a time. It is scary when it first happens though. I had it in therapy the first time, I said something that the group laughed at and I was already a bit regressed and it took me right back to when I was laughed by the entire classroom when I was 11, all of a sudden I went really dizzy and I was above my head, I was looking down on myself with all the emotions of that time when I was 11 and so upset. I burst into tears and spent the next week being dissociated to some degree. I felt like my body was not my own, like I could see myself doing things and I knew it was me, but it wasn't me at the same time. And I get it all the time when looking in the mirror, that's never me! I am not religious in the conventional sense of the word, in that I don't believe in higher beings and such, but I do think we have a seperate sense of ourselves that is 'other' than what science can explain. I don't know how 'spiritual' I see my dissociation as I can understand why it happens psychologically, but it's so bizarre that you can see yourself from somewhere your eyes are not! Strange..........

L

LionAngel29

I've had experiences when I was at school, sitting on a chair and feel as if I'm floating in thin air as the chair goes up in the air. Or see myself, thinking about getting up but can't move. Or like when I was very ill and felt so comfy and warm, to find out afterwards my temperature was 105 degrees and that I could've died. I've only had sleep paralysis during a dream, seeing myself being attacked and watching in the distance?