• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Other treatments for psychosis/bipolar

T

tropic

I've been diagnosed with bipolar 2 with psychotic features for a little over a month now. I've been on lots of medications but none of them really seem to be working. I'm just curious to know whether there are other methods of treatment out there? I know that medications are essential in the treatment process but also could there be reasons why my meds don't work?

D

Dollit

It takes time and effort to get the right medication mix. I've never known anybody get it right straight away. Lithium worked well for me to begin with but has needed supplemental medication of various types over the years. The medication I take now suits me really well.

If you've only been diagnosed a month (and presumably taking medication for that length of time) then the meds will barely be in your system. They take time to build up to a therapeutic level.

There are other treatments out there, to be used in conjunction or instead of, medication. Did you have anything in mind?

T

tropic

I've been on medications for almost a year now. Currently on lithium, and stelazine and clonazepam

D

Dollit

In what way do you feel your medication isn't working? It's quite a broad area of dissatisfaction! For some people it's side effects, in others it's a case of it doesn't help the symptoms. I hate lithium because I go through periods when I can't swallow it and I hate the amount of liquid I have to drink but it controls my symptoms really well so I persevere.